Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pocket Wizard Plus II on K5

At work I shoot with a D7000, and array of studio lights, and a couple Pocket Wizard Plus II wireless transmitters. I brought my K5 in today to do some product shots. The transmitters/flashes worked just fine on the the D7000, but did not trigger the flashes when mounted on my K5. I read that the Pocket Wizards are compatible.....Is there and sync/K5 setting I am missing? Any help/experience would be much appreciated. Thanks

03-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
make sure you're at the right shutter speed, the k-5's sync speed is only 1/180s
03-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure i was in the sync range, but will double check tomorrow. I have gone outside the range before, the flashes still fired, I just got a black bar on the bottom. with the transmitters on the K5 it wasn't tripping the flash at all......
03-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You may do better to manually set the shutter speed to 1/160 or less. In some of the semi-automatic and automatic camera modes you'll sometimes end up with the shutter speed out of range. Most of the time with strobes I'm using a light meter and manual mode, so this problem doesn't occur.

I've used my K-5 many times with the PW Plus II and various studio strobes. It works well.

03-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
I'm pretty sure i was in the sync range, but will double check tomorrow. I have gone outside the range before, the flashes still fired, I just got a black bar on the bottom. with the transmitters on the K5 it wasn't tripping the flash at all......
You're thinking another brand of camera.
The Pentax DSLRs won't fire if you're above 1/180...Pentax probably thought it'd prevent the inevitable gripes about the camera being "broken" because of the black bar
03-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You won't get black bars with the K5; you won't get anything. The hotshoe and the PC socket turn off at speeds over 1/180th. Wish there was a firmware hack for it, but there's not. Try X mode if you're using the PC socket, there may be some timing issues.