Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Aputure Trigmaster II with K-5 and pentax-compatible flash

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has used the new Aputure Trigmaster II to trigger your flashes?
From what I've learned, the different model numbers are different in the shutter release line that comes with the box,
The hot shoe connectors, however, are all the same (since it's not wireless TTL, only single point triggering).

But.. I heard a store's seller say that they also differ in the voltage to wake up the flashes when it goes into sleep mode,
so neither the model for Canon nor Nikon could work with Pentax flashes ( the Canon one could work as a remote shutter release nonetheless)

Has anyone purchased these and that are working well? Which model did you choose, the for Canon or for Nikon.

09-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi

The problem is not the voltage, it is the position of the pins that vary from Canon to Pentax.

The Canon WAKE pin is the READY pin on a pentax. So you have switch the internal wiring to make it work.

I have the MX1C and I fixed it to work at full sync speed with my flashes.

You open up the transmitter and move (solder) the blue wire (marked Wake or W) to the top right pin on the hot shoe.

thank you again "Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page"

Dead easy, and the you have wake function.

The problem is that the reciever needs pre notice when a flash triggering is about to occur. Same as the rf-602

You will need to half press the shutter button or else it will not sync up above 1/80.

You can see it working on the triggers, the green light on the TX blinks then the green on the RX blinks.

I measured the half press activity on the hotshoe of my K200D and found the Digital Com pin to be the one.

Last edited by esben; 09-15-2012 at 03:14 PM.
12-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #3

Trigmaster blue wire swap

Hi Esben , i want to swap the blue wire over on my Trigmaster but wanted to confirm whether it was the receiver or transmitter that needed changing
(or a pic of the part)

Thanks Mick
12-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #4

Is there any difference in pin between Trigmaster II and this Aputure Trigmaster Plus Kit (2x Transceivers) for Canon on eBay!. I've been using the canon version of this radio trigger on my K5 with no problem.

12-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have trigmaster 2.4GH, and use with AF 540 and AF 500 FGZ ftz ..
A modification to wake the flashes is different between flashes.

In AF 540 FGZ, wake up the wire should not be changed on the receiver, or rather, to remove the wire wake up it will work better. But it is necessary to disable the function wake up in flash, so it does not turn off every 60sec.

Already on AF 500 ftz has a problem, he does not wake up function off, so he goes off every 60 seconds, in a photographic session that's a ing shit.
The solution to this problem is to solder a wire directly to the battery pin wake up (pentax), this will keep the flash on all the time
In modifying the transmitter wake up is exactly as described, just change the pin to wake up.

At the transmitter modification is correct, only the blue wire wake up should be modified by moving the blue wire from pin canon, and welding the pin pentax, this modification has no effect on the wake up of flashes, but on the triggers that drive the need for a pre signal that synchronize correctly.

If the modification of the transmitter is not done, the trigger will work, but it syncs correctly the first photo only 1/100, if shooting in drive mode the first picture is out of sync and the subsequent photographs synchronized.

Sorry for my english horrible, and I hope it helped.
12-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply Fabio , but it has left me even more confused , i have a Metz AF48 flash but am only getting sync speeds upto 1/100 max
but you have answered a question i was going to ask on here about it turning off every 60 secs , so thanls for that.
12-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

For metz only try to change the transmitter. I believe it will work.

07-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micktheflash Quote
Thanks for the reply Fabio , but it has left me even more confused , i have a Metz AF48 flash but am only getting sync speeds upto 1/100 max
but you have answered a question i was going to ask on here about it turning off every 60 secs , so thanls for that.
sorry it is a late reply - but the reason for max 1/100 is b/c the trigger needs prior warning through the third pin - which is why I modified - It needs to know when you half press to "get ready"
01-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

Mod Blue Wire Digital PIN Pentax

Hi there, i made the modification of the blue wire to the "Digital" pentax pin. Its working great. No problems with sync to 1/160. You have to half press shutter to communicate to receivers. The mod is only needed in the transmitter pin.
01-17-2014, 12:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use trigmaster 2.4 g both the older and the the new plusII versions for the channels , I have canon versions for the remote trigger cables to answer the original question.
I have sleep turned off on every thing and never have a problem, although I mostly use them with studio lights and and on the rare occasion s I can be bribed enough to do a wedding the flash never goes to sleep anyway.