Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxLearner Quote
I'm certainly not disagreeing with you Jase, but the price difference is tricky to work out because I should imagine that I could hold out for a second hand Pentax Metz... is this the model you have? I'm not sure if the ''Mecablitz'' thing means anything..
Indeed, that is the one I have, but with Pentax dedication. I think all Metz flashes have the "Mecablitz" name designation.
I understand what you mean about it being tricky to work out the price, it's all about weighing the pro and cons which are not always clear cut and of course I've noticed that until you get out there and start making photos, you don't really know what feature is a must have.

Before I bought the Metz I had the Pentax 360 FGZ. Flash tube died about 2 years after I bought it. It did see some heavy use, but I was kinda surprised it didn't last longer. The thing was that it was underpowered for my needs so I shot at full power often and this of course shortened the life of the tube. Anyways, the Metz was about the same price and had more features (and power) than the Pentax, but I wasn't sure what I would get as far as reliability and compatibility, but after a while of thinking I bought the Metz and I am quite happy I did. The Vivitar I bought just so I could have some extra light sources and they were a good price/value, but unless I need extra lights the Metz end up on the stands.

If you're never gonna mount the flash to the camera AND you're getting a great deal on the Olympus version of the flash, go ahead. If you find a great deal on the Yongnuo units, go ahead. If you see some Vivitars being sold for peanuts, go ahead. Hold out for the Pentax second hand, save up to buy a brand new unit, consider the 50-AF which is the new version of the 48-AF or even the pricier but more advanced 58-AF.
Anything you decide will mean you will have at the very least a nice flash unit with the ability to mount off camera and make your portraits better, and unless you have very deep pockets, it's very unlikely you will get all your lighting setup in one go. I have built up my current setup over a few years, sometimes selling off gear I no longer use or doesn't fit my needs and using that to help buy other gear.

03-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #17

Original Poster
You've all been extremely useful, and I've invested in two Yn560 mark II. I'm just waiting for the radio triggers now! First impressions is that I'm pretty happy with these, and certainly looking forward to the triggers/umbrellas/stands to arrive so I can really start experimenting.
03-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxLearner Quote
You've all been extremely useful, and I've invested in two Yn560 mark II. I'm just waiting for the radio triggers now! First impressions is that I'm pretty happy with these, and certainly looking forward to the triggers/umbrellas/stands to arrive so I can really start experimenting.
Awesome! Happy shooting =)
03-31-2012, 05:22 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks! I didn't see 26th March message until now. My logic was that for half the price I'll get these Yongnuo's, which means my money will be spent learning how to use a more versatile setup (I get more physical gear for the money).. and then somewhere down the line I'll upgrade as and when required. Again, thanks a lot! Over and out.