Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #1

Pentax AF540FGZ or Sygma 530 DG ST Super?

I have a Pentax *Ist DS camera and would like to know which flash is best?

Looking to buy the Gadget Finity Ebay wireless triggers, to do some strobist shooting. Currently have the very basic Sigma 500ST flash and looking to upgrade.

Thanks guys
Dee

Last edited by Dee; 01-10-2008 at 04:47 AM.
01-10-2008, 04:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Dee!
As far as I was suggested, the AF540FGZ is the ultimate flash for Pentax DSLRs. With Sigma, there should be some issues at high shutter speeds. I don't know, hot it concerns your *Ist DS, because it is not P-TTL camera.
In one word: if you can afford go for Pentax original.
01-10-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi dee,
Welcome to the forum. I am in the same situation as you and really itching to get a flash - I really want to go the Pentax but when you look at the price difference between the Pentax & the sigma (approx $800 to $400) it makes the decision pretty tough is the Pentax 2 x better than the Sigma.

I am probably going to ask someone in the US to buy it for me (with my money) and send it over - that is if I go the Pentax way. This will work out way cheaper but I don't know how it effects warranty etc.

I hadn't heard of any high shutter speed probs with the Sigma before - can anyone elaborate.
01-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From one user, who testet Sigma DG Super on Pentax K10D and K100D:
When in Av, Tv, P, or Auto, the flash only works in Auto mode. If you want to use the flash in manual mode, you need to switch the camera in manual mode.
I don't think this has anything to do with HSS, but anyways....

01-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The sigma flash will not wok wireless on the pentax . It will work wireless only with a second sigma unit.
01-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
The sigma flash will not wok wireless on the pentax . It will work wireless only with a second sigma unit.
I don't know too much about it but isn't that what the wireless triggers are for?

I have the Sigma 530 Super but haven't really used it enough to make a recommendation to you. I thought you just needed something with manual capability to do the strobist thing? Are you just looking for a second flash to expand your versatility and not a replacement for your existing flash? If that's the case then I'm sure there are cheaper solutions from other manufacturers.
01-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The word I read is that the Sigma flash needs a firmware upgrade, which Sigma will do for no charge, other than shipping.

01-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma EF-530 DG Super. I like it, and all the functions seem to work the way they should. It tends to underexpose a little when bouncing the flash (P-TTL), but that is easily compensated for.
01-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I have the Sigma 530 Super and everything works as intended. It triggers wireless from the onboard flash.
01-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Welcome to the forum Dee!
As far as I was suggested, the AF540FGZ is the ultimate flash for Pentax DSLRs. With Sigma, there should be some issues at high shutter speeds. I don't know, hot it concerns your *Ist DS, because it is not P-TTL camera.
In one word: if you can afford go for Pentax original.
The AF540FGZ supports both TTL and P-TTL, so it'll work with her Ist DS just fine.
01-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #11
Inactive Account

WRONG! The DS definetly supports P-TTL (the internal flash is a P-TTL flash), AS WELL AS TTL.
Just don't want any misinformation to be spread...

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
I don't know, hot it concerns your *Ist DS, because it is not P-TTL camera.
01-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Dee

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

I decided to opt for the Pentax 540. My reasons were that I alredy have battery issues with my current Sigma and some contact issues at times. Decided I don't have the energy to struggle with another flash.

I have just received my new flash from B&H. And wow, this is an awesome flash. I will be using this as my main flash now and sometimes off camera as well. Bought the cord and hotshoe adapter as well. Love the new way of taking photos, It is really awesome.

Now thinking of getting the Cactus v2 wireless triggers. Just hope they work.
01-21-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
Forum Member

contact pentax USA for international warrenty

The 540 is a great flash DEE. Contact PENTAX in the U.S. to get a n international warrenty for it. All you have to do is email a copy of your BH invoice and serial number of your flash and your address. Then it is coverved for 12 months. So if it blows up like my af 360 you can get CR kennerdy here in Australia to fix. Without sending it back to the states.

Last edited by PentaxKangaroo; 01-21-2008 at 05:57 AM.
01-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Canada Rockies information is indeed correct. I called at Gentec Int. and they just said to send the flash in to have it upgraded at no cost. Thanks, Canada Rockies for the info. I was just about ready to sell my flashes to get the (lot) more expensive Pentax.
01-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #15

Sigma 530 DG Super question

Hello all. Question. Does this flash have a sync port to hook a pocket wizard or a Ebay trigger to? I know it has slave functions, but I was wondering if it would work with my RF-616.