Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are all FILM SLRs safe with older flashes?

Hi,

We all know about the trigger voltage issues, where an old flash can fry a DSLR. But how about last generation film bodies? Are they still OK with older flash guns? I ask because I have old flashes that I use on my K/M bodies, but my CBA (mutation of LBA virus) is taking me to the last gen film bodies like MZ, *ist film etc.
Any input?
No, I don't SUFFER from CBA. I ENJOY it!

Thanks,

03-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hi,

We all know about the trigger voltage issues, where an old flash can fry a DSLR. But how about last generation film bodies? Are they still OK with older flash guns? I ask because I have old flashes that I use on my K/M bodies, but my CBA (mutation of LBA virus) is taking me to the last gen film bodies like MZ, *ist film etc.
Any input?
No, I don't SUFFER from CBA. I ENJOY it!

Thanks,
I would think that there is no real difference in the electronics (from a trigger level perspective) between newer film bodies and a DSLR.

what you could do, however, is look at the operators manual and the flash compatibility chart.

there is one in my PZ-1 book. this at least covers pentax flashes, but there is a disclaimer about non pentax flashes potentially damaging the camera
03-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Ismael,
The best way is to measure the voltage directly on the actual units you have with a multimeter on dc voltage range.
The flash units have high voltage inside and there is a small possibility an old unit could have failed in a way to cause a high voltage on the trigger pin.
The oldest flashes here are AF16, AF160, AF160Sa they have a trigger voltage of less than 12 V and are OK, so I expect all Pentax from K1000 era onwards are OK.
I tried to search pin voltage of the older Asahi Pentax Super Lite 2 but could not.
03-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i will re-iterate my origonal comment RTFM

in the event you do not have the camera manual

pentax canada has an incredible archive of PDF files for manuals PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. | Operating Manuals for Pentax Cameras

there is no excuse for you not to have a camera manual

03-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Lowell's advice is sage here. I would second both his points. a) any camera with electronic metering, shutter, aperature control and/or TTL flash capability is more than likely to be sensitive to high voltage flash units. b) If Pentax Canada doesn't have the manuals, then PENTAX MANUALS.com does.
03-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is not in the manuals. That's why I was asking.....
I DO read them. The question was more of a general type, not model specific.
Some manuals only mention the flash models available at the time while others say "For best results use Pentax flashes only"
I haven't found anything in the manuals about trigger voltages or something that may hint to that.

Thanks,