Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #1

Flash Buying Guide?

Hi PF,

I'm a beginner and I'm looking into getting a flash!
After reading lots of reviews online and the PF Flash Reviews (in which, sadly, each flash has average of one review only), I am all the more confused..

If anyone could give a little help, it'd be really appreciated.

Background..
I am a casual photographer and mostly shoot from my kit lens and DAL 55-300mm with my K-X
I'm looking for a flash preferably under $150 but, if there's a really compelling reason, I could go for ~$200.
I think the only thing I know is I'd like it to tilt (and maybe swivel) and have a bounce-card thing (the white card you can pull up behind it)[/HR]

What I am not sure about is....

Auto mode: what is this, do I want it? If the flash is manual, does that mean I can't just put it on my hot-shoe and it'll work?
(p-)TTL: through-the-lens metering??
Power adjustment: a lot of flashes have complicated power control, is that important?
Brand: there are a few cheap, non-named-brand flashes (e.g. Yongnuo), that seem tempting. What are people's opinions this?[/HR]

Any help or even recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by jasonch; 04-10-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Including that I have a K-X
04-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There is a P-TTL guide, it has all/most of the current flashes in it, google for P-TTL guide and you will find it.

For the rest i can't say anything more because you didn't say which camera you have
04-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ahh, I have a K-X! Thanks!
04-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah you need P-TTL for that not TTL, P stands for Pre i believe, anyway it gives off a small pre flash before the actual exposure for the metering.
You can use Auto and Manual mode as well but not TTL

The cheaper flash you named are Manual only se you need to set the flash power and the exposure of the camera correctly.

For cheap P-TTL flash with a lot of function look at the metz offerings, metz 50 has a lot of functions.
It has tilt and swivel head, P-TTL, Auto, Manual and P-TTL wireless so you can use the small build-on flash of the Kx to trigger the metz from a distance.

there is also the less powerful metz 44 but not sure if it has all of the same functions as the 50...

04-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Anvh!

after doing some research I understand more. So I need P-TTL to get AE with flash, otherwise i'd have try different power settings to get the right exposure. But the firing is still automatic.
Is that right?

I'm mostly going to be using it on-camera and doesn't really need wireless or any of those functionality. But I guess P-TTL is pretty important and so I can only look at flashes on the P-TTL guide.
Someone also brought up the size issue on another thread when I'm looking for an on-camera flash, which I hadn't thought of.

So right now I'm considering the Metz 50, which is largely recommended, and the Sigma EF-610 DG ST, which is cheaper and has most of the functionalities I wanted, but the P-TTL guide's review sounds troubling...

" ...Manual power control is limited to full or ¹⁄₁₆th power, and the zoom can't be controlled manually at all. The zoom reflector pattern is odd — the flash outstrips the competition at wide angle and when zoomed to above 50mm (35mm "full-frame" efl), but not at moderate wide-angles."

Still trying to make a decision and inputs are appreciated!
04-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another option to save some money is an 'A' (auto) mode flash. You can find used ones all over ebay. Basically, the flash has a light sensor on it (thyristor). You tell the flash your iso/f-stop that you are using (set the camera to M, dial in those settings on the camera and flash) and then the flash can give off the appropriate amount of light (assuming its powerful enough for the situation). There are a lot of good 'A' mode flashes out there. If you don't need a lot of power, the Pentax AF280T is a popular choice. There are also several from Vivitar and Sunpak that are nice. My current favorite in this category is the Metz 54 MZ-3/MZ-4. I just bought the MZ-4 for my wife. The MZ flashes have interchangeable adapters so you can use one flash on multiple brand bodies. The MZ-3 only will support 'A' mode and manual on your body. It doesn't matter if it is made for Canon, Nikon or whoever. In 'A' mode, the generic trigger is all that is needed (however, if you don't get a Pentax shoe, you won't be able to use rear-curtain sync). The MZ-4 will support PTTL with the Metz SCA 3702 M3 adapter on it (Pentax adapter, NOTE: the M2 model can be upgraded for free by Metz to the M3 model). Another bonus to the SCA 3702 (any version) is that it will automatically adjust the iso/f-stop (in 'A' mode) on the flash as you change it on the camera body.

Anyway, long story short, I buy 3 types of flashes for different purposes:

1) High-end, dedicated flashes for on camera use (support PTTL, HSS, A mode) like the Metz 58 or Pentax AF540
2) 'A' mode flashes when HSS is not needed and I want to save a bunch of money: I've owned the Vivitar 2600, Vivitar 5600, Pentax AF280T and Metz 54 MZ-4
3) High-power manual flashes for off camera use: Yongnuo YN560
04-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You can also use Auto mode for AE and yes firing is automatic, you can even use canon or nikon flash if you want but you need to input the values manually for Auto mode (aperture and ISO) or use manual mode but triggering is done automatically.

Yes if you want P-TTL then those flashes in the guide are the ones you're looking for.

Metz 50 is just a solid performer and sigma is fine for just P-TTL but if you want to use more advance setup like for example studio photograhy (strobist) you often want to have manual controls so you can really control the lighting and you can't do that with Sigma.

04-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
3) High-power manual flashes for off camera use: Yongnuo YN560
I would go for lumopro, better build quality and controls
04-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

I saw a post on the PF marketplace selling a Metz 50, so I decided to get that!

I learned a lot here though! I'll keep these in mind when I feel the need to invest in more lighting equipments!
(I'm not sure a quick search for Metz 54 MZ-4 shows some >$400 flashes...?)
04-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah after this point they get really expensive not really worth it though, better to get a portable studio flash at that point.
04-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
yea, that's part of why I went for the ~$200 Metz 50. I don't perceive myself getting any more lighting things any time soon, might as well invest in a reliable one that has good functionality ! =)