Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Old metz 45 on a K7

I've got an old metz 45 CT1 with the high trigger voltage and knowing it can fry the shoe flash circuits on a camera ( i think it did this to my old SFX) I'm not keen on putting using it on my K7, but as the K7 has a pc socket on the side i was wondering if anyone knows if it is safe using the flash through the pc socket or will this fry the camera as well.

thanks for any advice

04-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I don't think anyone, even Pentax, can tell you for sure. There were some discussions as whether the PC port can handle high voltage, but there have been no official words from Pentax.

Just a wild shot, but I have to ask: Do you happen to have a Mecamat 45-20 with your 45CT1. If yes, or if you can find it, read this post -> LINKY.
04-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wein safesync and Cactus triggers (review) can be a solution as well.
04-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The sync port standard (assuming the K7 is standard) uses >200Volts so my guess is yes. But you won't know without trying it!

04-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks for the advise everyone, I had heard the mecamats can help but not been able to get hold of one locally, but i'll look out for them and check the wein safesync and cactus.too, as a lost resort I'll chance plugging it into the socket
02-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I can tell for sure that the Metz 45 CT-1 did NOT fried my K5
My serial number is 434xxx so annouced by Metz as delivering pretty high voltage (over 400V) and my camera still works good. Onboard flash unit as well.

All that happend this morning, a neighbour found the Metz in the street (so is Berlin), and bring it back to me. I knew the potential issue with high voltage on hot shoe mount but I thought it was ok thru cable... since then I rode quite other story :S but luckily my camera is perfectly fine. I shooted like 20 times with eneloops fully loaded.

Now I have a pretty powerfull torch, and no reason anymore to fear any problem.
Being idiot has advantage sometimes

This said :
- I trust Metz about there annoucement, my metz should deliver high voltage according to serial number : I haven't checked myself it was so, may be a mistake on their side saved my ass more than high voltage protection on K5 PC plug.
- I would not say that it is safe to plug a K7 or a K5 II etc.. as may be some specifications could be different, who knows.
02-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I did plug one metz 45 CT-1 with serial below 500.000 aka high voltage ignition on my K5, and strictly nothing happend to my cam, built-in flash is fine too.

I did that not knowing it could be dangerous not only on the hot shoe but thru cable as well... By the way it was not.

This said, i have a K5, i cannot say go test yourself on a K7 or even K5II, who knows if safety regarding high tension is same inside... I ll let you judge.