Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bounce Flash w/540/360

Does anyone use these flashes bouncing with unbrellas? Pros/Cons? Any other ideas?

01-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes. My three AF-540 FGZ flash units are used for a location lighting system. Two are bounced into small 32" umbrellas (silver or white depending on the situation), one used as a hair or background light, and the on-camera flash (or a small slave) used as a catchlight for the eyes. You asked about pros and cons. Compared to what and in what regard?

stewart
01-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I wonder if it would be a better choice to use either more powerful strobe heads or even compact flourescent heads. Back in the day I used a 400w/s Novatron system in a small home studio. Sometimes the three heads seemed insufficient; perhaps as I recall for more than one person. I really don't want to go there again; just doing family portraits for now. I also have a small slave for background and I have been using a cut-out pingpong ball on the camera's flash.
01-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mysterick:

Check out this website: Strobist: Lighting 101

It'll tell you all you need to know, and more too, about artificial lighting.

01-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
I guess I wonder if it would be a better choice to use either more powerful strobe heads or even compact flourescent heads. Back in the day I used a 400w/s Novatron system in a small home studio. Sometimes the three heads seemed insufficient; perhaps as I recall for more than one person. I really don't want to go there again; just doing family portraits for now. I also have a small slave for background and I have been using a cut-out pingpong ball on the camera's flash.

If handled properly, either of these two flash units (360 or 540) are powerful enough for portraits (individuals, couples, or small groups). Of course, with umbrellas (especially white), the extra light output from the 540 is probably desirable (wider depth-of-field, etc). With the setup described earlier (and white umbrella), I've handled groups as large as nine (full-length) successfully. To be honest, I wouldn't try anything beyond that number.

stewart
01-14-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I have looked into Strobist. I have both 360 and 540 with the slave for background. I have 2 45" Photoflex "warm" silver unbrellas on the way. BTW, the one can't adjust the power on the 360, right?
01-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The AF-360 FGZ is a vari-power flash (1/1, 1/2, 1/4th, 1/8th, 1/16th & 1/32nd) so you should be able to adjust the light output.

By the way, those 45-inch umbrellas are going to eat power. I generally use smaller (30-35-inch) umbrellas. Of course, one gets stronger highlights with deeper shadows to fill with smaller umbrellas, but I nearly always prefer some shadowing in my portraits anyway (and that look is catching on again in the fashion world as well).

Finally, do remember auto white balance will override the warming effect of those umbrellas. Use a manual white balance instead. Daylight may be your best choice. The flash white balance setting already adds warmth, which may be too much with the additional warming effect of the umbrellas.

stewart

01-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Does anyone use these flashes bouncing with unbrellas? Pros/Cons? Any other ideas?
I use the AF540FGZ and AF 500FTZ as a tandom, with one remote boounced off an umbrella and the other on camera.

I use the remote at a preset power level for fill from the side to remove harsh shadows from the one on the camera which is usually bounced off the ceiling.

I have also used my sunpak autozoom 3000 with a slave trigger from the other side.

the problem with the sunpak is that it is a lower guide number, 30 meters ISO 100, compared to the two pentax units, but it does come with an AC adaptor so recycle is instantaneous.
01-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, both of you for your helpful instructions. The AC sounds like a good idea. I should have this equipment basically togther tomorrow so I can start experimenting. The beauty of digital=instant feedback! Can it get better than this?
01-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, now that I have this equipment I'm not sure how to use it. I have set the 540 and 360 on the umbrellas on "A" using the on camera flash to fire them and I can get some fairly OK shots. In "M" it just doesn't make any sense to me like no light. What do you set your ISO/Mode on the flashes and in what mode do you use the camera?
01-20-2008, 02:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Your signature says the Kodak K10D. By that, I'll assume you're referring to the Pentax K10D in some manner. If so, the built-in flash is only P-TTL compatible, so both remote flash units must be set to P-TTL (not "A" or anything else). Also, high-speed sync is not compatible with wireless, so the shutter speed must be set to something slower than 1/180s. If set properly to P-TTL, the camera's ISO setting will be communicated automatically (no settings on the flash). Once setup, the only settings you'll need to make on the remote flash units are the individual power levels.

With all that in mind, start over and walk through the manuals carefully using only the recommendations there. Also refer to the PDF file included with firmware update v1.10 (refers to wireless using the built-in flash). If you follow the instructions, and don't deviate from them using tactics learned from previous flash units, the setup will indeed work and work very well.

stewart
01-20-2008, 04:10 AM   #12
Forum Member

Could the af200-fg flash big enough for a small 36inch umbrella
01-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Starting Over

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Your signature says the Kodak K10D.

Yes, that is correct.

With all that in mind, start over and walk through the manuals carefully using only the recommendations there. Also refer to the PDF file included with firmware update v1.10 (refers to wireless using the built-in flash). If you follow the instructions, and don't deviate from them using tactics learned from previous flash units, the setup will indeed work and work very well.

stewart
OK, I'll try this again without improvising. Thank you again!
01-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No P-TTL

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Your signature says the Kodak K10D. ...If so, the built-in flash is only P-TTL compatible, so both remote flash units must be set to P-TTL (not "A" or anything else).
stewart
The remote (540 and 360 both off camera) flashes will NOT select mode P-TTL when set on wireless; only A or M. they do fire in either, however.
01-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxKangaroo Quote
Could the af200-fg flash big enough for a small 36inch umbrella

Answered this question in your separate thread on the same topic.

stewart