Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Cup Shape Diffuser Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------Review Part------------------------------------------------------------
Finally got the item, took nearly 3 weeks for it to arrive.
I guess it's reasonable since it is shipping from China.

This is the one I got, great price and the company seems big and reliable.
Nanguan Lambency Flash Diffuser P4 for Canon 580EXII 580EX 550EX - DinoDirect.com

Here starts the review, all shots are direct out of camera.
K5 / pentax-F 35-70mm / yongnuo 560 ii
Jpg format, only resized to 800px width.
All neutral effect - 0 contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc.
Fixed white balance - day light WB.
Flash is about 1.5 meter away from the scene.

Please excuse the slight changing of exposure of each photo, I am still new to flash :/

This is the product.
The cup itself looks a little blue-greenish.
Also comes with a white cap and an orange cap.
It even comes with some extra stuff like post cards and a bottle opener, not bad

Here is the set up scene.
The shot is taken w/o flash, only window light, and a longer exposure.

Here is a shot of the flash working.
It is pointed to the ceiling.
As you can see, it shots a bean of light directly up, the scene hardly gets any light.

Here is the flash with the cup mounted on.
The scene gets some light from the diffuser.
But most of the light are still shooting up the ceiling.

Here is the flash with the cup, and the white cap mounted on.
The light is now much more diffused.
The scene is getting more light and the diffuser itself looks & acts like a light bulb.

On-camera flash directly shooting the scene.
As everyone expected, harsh shadow, artificial looking.
The WB also looks a bit on the cold side.

On-camera flash with the cup directly shooting the scene.
Can't tell much a difference from the above, since the flash is still shooting a bean of light to the scene.

On-camera flash with the cup and the white cap, shooting directly to the scene.
The shadow is slightly softer, take note on the shadow on the pillow that cast by the doll.
But generally speaking, still not a big difference from the above

On-camera flash, no cup, ceiling bounce.
Much better looking image. It appears a bit warm because the ceiling is a yellowish color.

On-camera flash with cup, ceiling bounce.
Sorry this one is a bit under exposure.
And I am not finding a big difference from the one above, except the cooler color (probably because the color of the cup)

On-camera flash with cup and white cap, ceiling bounce.
Surprisingly, this set up brings some shadow to the scene.
Notice the shadow on the pillow that cast by the doll.
It is probably because the "light bulb" is spreading energy around it.
Also the light is more evenly lifted, take note on the doll's face compare with the 2 shots above.

On-camera flash, shooting to the left of the scene, wall bounce.
Similar to ceiling bounce, not much to say about it.
Notice that the color gets really warm. Color is hard to control if you don't have a white wall.

On-camera flash with cup and white cap, shooting to the left, wall bounce.
Again same as last case, the "light bulb" gives some shadow to the scene.
That also shows the diffuser is working and giving off light to every direction.

On-camera flash with cup and orange cup.
As expected, it makes the scene very warm.
It may be use to create interesting visual effect if use it right.
Also can be use as color gel.

Off-camera flash on the left side, shooting directly to the scene.
Very very harsh shadow and blinding lights.
That's all to say about it.

Off-camera flash with cup and white cap to the left, shooting directly.
Generally softer shadows, definitely some improvements.

Off-camera flash on the left side, ceiling bounce.
Basically the same as On-camera ceiling bounce.

Off-camera flash with cup and white cap to the left, ceiling bounce.
The light is more even lifted, and the flash brings shadow to the objects.

Base on all these experiments, I came up with some conclusion.

1. the diffuser works more like a light bulb instead of diffuser.
2. putting the cup on but with no cap, won't give you a very big difference.
3. with the cup and cap on, base on distance it will bring shadow to the objects even it's just ceiling bounce.
4. it does soften the shadow a little bit, spreading light in a circular motion and lift the scene more evenly.

When shooting indoor, it won't bring a huge improvement if you already have a low and white ceiling.
However, when shooing in situations that you have no way to bounce (outdoor, high ceiling, etc) but to shot directly at the object, it will definitely be a helper.

I will test it on outdoor fill flash when I have a chance.
Please leave me any of your thought about this review.
Thanks for reading.

--------------------------------------------------------------------Old Post----------------------------------------------------------------

Got my yougnuo yn-560 flash around a month ago, everything about the flash is awesome, especially using it off camera.
However, I do need to find a way around to fix the very artificial shadow.

So I did a lot of research on different types of diffusers, some are extremely expensive while others are very cheap.
And in general cup shape diffuser seems gives a better price/performance ratio, I ordered one.

By looking at this video I know the yongnuo and the canon have the same design, so the cup should also fit the flash fine.

I will post a detail review after I got the item, hopefully it will do some improvement on the photos.

Last edited by telly0050; 05-17-2012 at 09:47 PM.
04-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's the exact design of the Lightsphere from Gary Fong. I have one and it works well to even out the light in a pinch. However, depending on your purposes it might or might not work.

First of all, there is a little improvement going to a lightsphere from a Sto-fen type diffuser (the basic white rectangle you sometimes get with your flash). I've tested both and the diffusion is better with a lightsphere.

Second, a tupperware bowl works just as well as a lightsphere, but you have to cut it and fir it on your flash, while the lightsphere is already fitted.

Third, if you plan on using the flash on-camera, you could bounce it on the ceiling. That creates a different look with more shadows but well spread-out light. Using a Sto-fen or a lightsphere with the flash on-camera is fine if a bit cumbersome.

Fourth, if you plan on using the flash off-camera, then getting an umbrella will give you MUCH better results than a lightsphere.

I hope this helps. A lightsphere is just one tool among several that a photographer can use.
04-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Third, if you plan on using the flash on-camera, you could bounce it on the ceiling. That creates a different look with more shadows but well spread-out light. Using a Sto-fen or a lightsphere with the flash on-camera is fine if a bit cumbersome.
But the light is more natural this way because it comes from above like most of the light normally does.
With sto-fen i always get shadows on the wall behind the subject.

And these things only really work indoors.
04-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #4

Even better!

When I was finished frosting a cake using one of those Betty Crocker-type ready made frostings that come in a round, white pot, I looked at the container and thought... what a great flash diffuser this would make!

The flash fits into it as well as any "square" peg in a round hole could be expect to, and the result when I was doing some shots of our cabin interiors was terrific! If the "lightsphere" and other commercial gadgets work any better, I'd bet my eyes couldn't see the difference.

From what I've experienced and read, ANYTHING, no matter how goofy looking, that modifies the light the way you desire, is, as Martha would say, "a good thing."

I think sometimes we're far too focussed on how the equipment looks and just IMAGINE that the image looks better if we've spent a pile on the equipment.

04-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
But the light is more natural this way because it comes from above like most of the light normally does.
With sto-fen i always get shadows on the wall behind the subject.

And these things only really work indoors.
These type of modifiers work by spreading the light around so that some of it bounces back from walls, ceiling etc, that is why they only work indoors. Outdoors all they do is reduce the intensity of the flash. Straigh bounce off a seiling normally gives a better effect, and a white reflector (or sheet of card) underneath the subject gives a little fill
04-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

indoors any make of push over diffuser works well as the light bounces all over and tends to even out the shadows by reflecting back from all the walls and ceiling as well as any other reflective surface for example some furniture , picture frame glass etc, but out side you need to be directional so to flash into a brolly works well as it becomes more diffused but directional, or one of the very cumbersome speed light softboxes like the lastolite one [ other brands are available]
04-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
or one of the very cumbersome speed light softboxes like the lastolite one [ other brands are available]
Got a 28inch softbox from westcott that fits into an umbrella stand, perfect if you ask me.
It's a little hard to adjust the flash though but for the rest.

04-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Got a 28inch softbox from westcott that fits into an umbrella stand, perfect if you ask me.
It's a little hard to adjust the flash though but for the rest.
Yes I have seen them they are nice but I have enough stuff to cart around at a weddings with out light stands as well, having said that I do,. when the opportunity arises, like to work with off camera flash and I have an adaptor to fit on the spare thread on the end of my tripod centre column so that column gets reversed and the flash mounted on to that.with either a brolly or a on- flash soft box like the Lastolite one.
04-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
thanks for your tips Anvh.
i look through the web and i can't seem to find a more "neutral" review about a product like this.
so i guess i would take the shot and write one myself.

major use is off camera interior (sometimes outdoor) portrait.
04-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've seen a review with the oni-bounce.
he then took a photo while angling the flash more and more to the ceiling till it was pointing up, he did this with and without the omnibounce, will try to find it.
04-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Yes I have seen them they are nice but I have enough stuff to cart around at a weddings with out light stands as well, having said that I do,. when the opportunity arises, like to work with off camera flash and I have an adaptor to fit on the spare thread on the end of my tripod centre column so that column gets reversed and the flash mounted on to that.with either a brolly or a on- flash soft box like the Lastolite one.
I've been working with the elinchrome quadra, those flashes are quite useful.
Most of the photos here are done with that (ps first time seeing the new site but it's heavy for the browser)
Lillyphotography | Fashion | Beauty | Strobist | Advertising | Fotograaf Jeroen van lelieveld Dordrecht Nederland
04-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

found the review
IDIC Photo Blog: Nikon SB-600 Bounce flash test with Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce

not the one i found first but it will do.

http://www.digitalrelish.net/39/canon-speedlite-430ex-with-sto-fen-omni-bounce/
QuoteQuote:
Conclusion

Used with the flash pointing directly at the subject, the Omni-Bounce can help to soften the light and shadows to a small extent. Sto-Fen say the Omni-Bounce should be used with the flash gun at around a 45-degree angle in order to get the best from it, but if you’ve no reflective surfaces nearby then pointing your flash directly at your subject might be the next best option available.

Using the Omni-Bounce at an angle offered a nice level of light, but there were still shadows apparent due to the flash light providing a direct light source.

For the most evenly lit and shadow-less photos you really do need to bounce your flash light in order to get as big a light source as possible and you don’t need a diffuser for that.

Last edited by Anvh; 04-25-2012 at 09:04 AM.
04-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #13

Original Poster
thanks for the link, it's a great review.
just wish there are more before after photos on different situations
04-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To eliminate the shadows behind your subject, move them away from the wall. Also you can position the strobe so that the shadow falls out of the frame.
04-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

yn560 and brolly on tripod taken on my k10d

Last edited by adwb; 03-15-2013 at 02:15 AM.