Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
C stand with boom suggestions?

I need a boom stand that will support a monolight with a 60 inch octa at an angle.
Ideas? I just want to be able to keep the light above the subject, angled down.....without the actual stand getting in the way.

04-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you're just looking for a good C stand with a small boom, i'd recommend the one made by impact
Impact Master Century C Stand Kit with 42" CT40MKIT B&H
its a very solid stand, just make sure to take advantage of the c stand design and throw a few sandbags on its legs. They're not always necessary, as its a pretty damn solid stand, but peace of mind is always nice to have.

If you want to boom out further than the 40 or so inches that the stock boom provides, I recommend splurging a bit on this purchase. Make sure both the boom and grip head are of high quality, as I've found out the hard way that cheaper booms and grip heads can barely manage the weight of a bare monolight, nevermind modifiers. Manfrotto makes a pretty damn solid boom arm:
9 feet - Manfrotto Heavy Duty Boom Arm, Black - 9' (2.7m) 085BSL B&H
6.5 feet - Manfrotto Boom Assembly, Black - 6.5' (2m) 024B B&H Photo Video
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For a 60" octa, definitely get the kit.
I like my Matthews Century stand...it's a bit lighter than the Avenger equivalent but is very sturdy. Depending on how far you need to angle the octa, the grip arm might be enough...works well enough w/ my beauty dish...
05-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so what your saying is you can purchase an extended arm? i know nothing about this type of stand. will the kit provide everything i need to attach my monos?

05-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the kit has everything you need to get started, the extra boom arm is there if you want to boom a light out even further, such as when you want the light directly over your subject.