Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Question about lens settings on an older flash

I never really considered this but but on my old metz 32 mz3, when you set the focal length option do you have to compensate for the camera being digital as opposed to 35 mm?

05-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I never really considered this but but on my old metz 32 mz3, when you set the focal length option do you have to compensate for the camera being digital as opposed to 35 mm?
I don't worry too much about it. Unless you need to evenly light a flat wall that fills the entire frame, it's usually not that big of a deal. Besides that, the focal lengths are tuned to prime lens focal lengths, and using a zoom is going to mean that you'd be changing the zoom on the flash when you change the focal length of your lens.
05-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Usually I just leave the flash head at the widest setting, unless when I'm about to run out off power (and even in this case, I'd rather bring up ISO setting and deal with the noise later during post-processing).

But strictly speaking, if you want to be "correct", you can compensate for the narrower FOV of the APS-C sized sensor. You don't have too, because the FOV of the setting on the flash head is actually "wider" than the FOV of the lens with the same focal length.
05-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a good question, and shows you are thinking about what you are doing.

The focal length setting is used to focus the light to cover the field of view (FOV) of the lens. As a result, switching to digital format, the flash will actually light up more than you need. Not a bad thing, but it uses more power to do this, so it will impact extreme range shots because when it focuses the light the guide number goes up, and also battery life, so if you are shooting a lot it makes sense to adjust these for your format.

05-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you...that makes sense to me