Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any WingLight Users Here @ The Forums?

I have a photo shoot coming up for some music album artwork and promo shots - I have plenty of equipment but was looking into possibly snapping a few shots with a shoe mounted flash on camera instead of shooting through umbrellas (not for all but for some shots) - the shoot itself will be in many different areas of an abandoned building and some of the shots will be in breezeways/hallways where there will be no room to sit umbrellas without them being in the way.

So, I came across the WingLight and looking at the video this thing looks to be an extremely versatile and bad**s product - anyone have any experience with it? If not, what do you guys think judging by the video?

Wing Light Store

05-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I have a photo shoot coming up for some music album artwork and promo shots - I have plenty of equipment but was looking into possibly snapping a few shots with a shoe mounted flash on camera instead of shooting through umbrellas (not for all but for some shots) - the shoot itself will be in many different areas of an abandoned building and some of the shots will be in breezeways/hallways where there will be no room to sit umbrellas without them being in the way.

So, I came across the WingLight and looking at the video this thing looks to be an extremely versatile and bad**s product - anyone have any experience with it? If not, what do you guys think judging by the video?

Wing Light Store
Well, if you take the beautiful woman out of the video, all you have is another attach-to-the-flash diffuser.

I guess there is a parallel to being blinded by the light and being sold something with an attractive woman pitching it.

My mobile platform consists of a flash on a F5P cord, as well as one on the camera. I also place several slave flashes on lightstands/small tripods when I need fill/back fill lighting.

Back to the Wing light - it looks very flimsy and is not that impressive.

05-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well, if you take the beautiful woman out of the video, all you have is another attach-to-the-flash diffuser.
Here is a technical demonstration video of this thing (without that particular model), it looks even a little more impressive (the flash coverage does anyways).

I agree, it does look flimsy...
05-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Here is a technical demonstration video of this thing (without that particular model), it looks even a little more impressive (the flash coverage does anyways).

<movie>

I agree, it does look flimsy...
Ok, it does appear to be an effective diffuser, certainly light weight.

Buy it, and come back with a review.

05-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It looks massive (with the two weird things attached) and kinda flimsy yeah. I can see the benefit of it, but it's just doing what every other flash diffuser does, only twice. It's a cool idea though.

I use a rogue flashbender, and with the large version, you can just bend it over forwards and get a very similar effect. It's still huge when attached to the flash, but it folds away insanely easily, and it's incredible versatile. You can buy diffuser panels for it too, but I've never tried those.
05-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Not weirder than a snoot.
I never use one but i think they are cool. Light weight and spread the light as they intent to do.
05-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmm. What occurs to me about the shots in the demo film (other than the beautiful model) is that the flash seems to provide only about a stop of fill. There is a set of comparison shots between direct flash and the wing light in a larger space, and there is some diffusion. I wonder what the comparison would be between the wing light and some tissue paper or other easily-made diffusion.

The photographer also seems to favor (and intended this device for) shots in halls and cramped spaces where the fill light can bounce in from the wall. His walls and backgrounds are always near white. I also wonder how much difference there would be in a well-aimed bounce shot.

09-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #8

Has anyone used this? I came across the youtube videos and i am tempted. This will be my fourth diffuser product and dont want to waste money if it is going to be a waste of time.

Any users that can comment and provide a review with some sample shot comparison between stofen/omnibounce and wing light?
11-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was also checking back for the same reason. I just shot a gathering in a large hall with 30 foot ceilings, and I did not like how glaring the light was with a Sto-fen knockoff or tiny softbox thingy or the bare 540fgz.

The winglight and the Graslon seem to get the highest marks from users around the web on the diffusion of light. The knock on the Graslon and many other effective diffusers is the weight. I get why the Graslon costs what it does (there is quite a bit inside it), but this wingie, not so much. The wing-thing is also a bit funny looking, and some say it distracts, but on the other hand it is light and it may work.