Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Opteka EF-790 DG Super TTL Autofocus Dedicated LCD Flash?

Is anyone familliar with the Opteka EF-790 DG Super TTL Autofocus Dedicated LCD Flash? For the price it looks good, and I needed something cheap and I needed it fast, so I have one on it's way. I paid 60 bucks for a brand new one, so, am I going to regret it?

05-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Depends on how much use you intend to give it as well as how. For casual use this unit might get the job done, but for the same price I would get a Yongnuo 560 (although it has no Pentax dedication) over the Opteka.
Of course I would most likely use the flash off camera (so the Pentax dedication is useless to me) and it has more power, 3 sec recycle, wireless (optical) triggering, metal hotshoe (for more durability) and a whole lot more.
That being said, and especially for those who use the flash on camera, it seems to have some nice features, especially the second curtain sync, but the main gripes I would have with this unit is the painfully slow recycle times; 9 seconds is an eternity to wait on your flash when you are trying to get a job done, and it is underpowered when compared to other flashes in the price range.
05-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got it, played with it, and I like it!
09-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #4

does this thing really do p-ttl? accurately?
i have plenty of manual things, but i really need something automatic for partyshooting
besides... with some skills the recharge time problem can be helped a lot

09-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, it does all the auto functions as it said it did. I do like it.