Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

your thoughts on AF 500 FTZ flash

I'm looking for a more powerful flash for my k10d. The 540 would meet my needs, but the price tag is a higher than I'm wanting to spend. I'm considering the AF 500 FTZ for it's swivel and bounce head along with guide number. I realize it's a TTL and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the 540 or even 360, but I'm not too worried about that. I read it can do 2 frames per second at 1/16th power but what about at more power? Can anybody tell me how fast can this thing fire at 1/2 half power? Any other issues that you know about regarding this flash? Should I be considering a different flash?

Thanks,

Don

01-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will only work in manual mode on the K10D - I have the flash and the camera. The K10D does not support TTL flash metering, and the AF500FTZ does not support Auto metering (there is no sensor on the flash), nor does it support P-TTL.

I wish it did.
01-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would go straight for the AF540FGZ.

Unless you want to spend all your time doing flash calculations for every shot, forget a manual only solution.

Additionally the AF540 goes wider, to give the coverage for wider angle lenses with a drop down fresnel secondary lens.

The 540 also is fully backwards compatable with every camera pentax made, it can work in auto mode for the K1000, TTL for a more advanced film camera like a PZ1, and if you ever want to use flash on an older DSLR like an *istD with K mount lenses, the *istD will work with this flash in TTL mode

It really is a great unit. This is coming from someone who has both the AF500FTZ and the AF540FGZ.
01-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's a good point about the wide angle. I'm not sure it will be a problem though since I bounce the light as much as possible. I currently own the 330 ftz and haven't had any problems with my kit lens set at 18mm. I'll eventually upgrade to the 16-50mm probably, but will it really be a problem if I bounce?

I really enjoy the manual side of photography. Its more fun to me to walk into a situation and figure out how to get the lighting to work out and create soft shadows.

So I guess I'm back to my original concern. How quickly can you 500 fire at something greater than 1/16th power? Is there much difference between the 540 and 500 regarding that?

01-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxogrophy Quote
That's a good point about the wide angle. I'm not sure it will be a problem though since I bounce the light as much as possible. I currently own the 330 ftz and haven't had any problems with my kit lens set at 18mm. I'll eventually upgrade to the 16-50mm probably, but will it really be a problem if I bounce?

I really enjoy the manual side of photography. Its more fun to me to walk into a situation and figure out how to get the lighting to work out and create soft shadows.

So I guess I'm back to my original concern. How quickly can you 500 fire at something greater than 1/16th power? Is there much difference between the 540 and 500 regarding that?
I think they are pretty much the same in recycle time. Essentually same GN an same power (batteries)
01-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxogrophy Quote
(snip) So I guess I'm back to my original concern. How quickly can your 500 fire at something greater than 1/16th power? Is there much difference between the 540 and 500 regarding that?

Since the AF-540 FGZ is a thyristor-style flash unit varying output and recycling times based on actual subject distance, scene brightness, and so on, those questions are nearly impossible to answer. The AF-540 FGZ is capable of high-speed sync with the K10D (working at the fastest shutter speed, providing part of your answer), but the number of actual consecutive shots in this or any other mode will vary greatly.

stewart
01-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Since the AF-540 FGZ is a thyristor-style flash unit varying output and recycling times based on actual subject distance, scene brightness, and so on, those questions are nearly impossible to answer. The AF-540 FGZ is capable of high-speed sync with the K10D (working at the fastest shutter speed, providing part of your answer), but the number of actual consecutive shots in this or any other mode will vary greatly.

stewart
Stewart, true, but in high speed sync mode the flash is set to a much lower power, because it is flashing multiple times within the sweep of the shutter. This is all being done on the initial charge of the capacitor not based upon recycle rates.

the OP asked about recycle
At half power my AF 500FTZ can do 2 shots very quickly followed bu about a 3 second charge where it can do again 1 half power shot. my AF540FGZ seems about the same.