Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz 60 thoughts and differences.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been thinking about getting myself a Metz 60 hammerhead flash for use on a stand, and was wondering how good these flashes are in terms of recycle times and such?

And I'm right in thinking that a guide number of 60 is at a 28mm coverage setting? Which is why it's so much more powerful than shoe-mount flashes, which only get into the 50s at their furthest zoom?

I'd be fine triggering this with a PC sync cable or a Cactus v5 trigger yeah?

And finally, what are the differences between the Ct-1, Ct-2 and Ct-4?

Any thoughts on the 6 series in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

05-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have 2 45s and they are awesome - can only imagine the 60 is even better.
05-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Is the power difference noticeable with the 45s? The AF 540FGZ can cover 35mm with a GN of 39 apparently, so I wasn't sure the power difference would be enough to justify getting a 45.

Though I do appreciate much easier access to auto mode and manual adjustments.
05-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a Mecamat with them for fully manual control. My other flash is a EF530DG Super, and I find the overall power and recycle time better with the 45s.

I imagine the 60 will be a step change though.

05-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The guide number is measure at 35mm FL (35mm format).

If you are to get a 60CT, get the CT-4. One of the features unique to the CT-4 is power ratio settings, from full to 1/256 in 1/3 EV step. I believe that the CT-4 is the only one that has low trigger voltage. It's been a while so I can't remember the exact value of the trigger voltage, but it's low enough that I use my 60 CT-4 triggered by the hotshoe of my K10D and K-7. With my 60CT-1, I need a Wein unit.

Recycle time of the 60 series from full-power is about 6 sec. with 6V SLA battery. With a 7.2V Li-Ion (link) the recycle time is reduced to about 5 sec..

In comparison, the 45CT is about 1 stop less powerful than the 60CT series (60/45 = 1.33; 1 stop = 1.4), with a Quantum Turbo battery or the like, a 45CT can recycle in about 2 sec.. You can use the Quantum turbo battery for other flash units. Of course the 45CT can take 6 AA batteries in case of emergency, or when you don't need short recycle time.

One advantage of the 60CT and 45CT is that they are built like a tank, at least compared to the Pentax AF540FGZ.
05-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still using a Metz 60 CT-2 as my main portable flash. Recycle times are short enough that it's never been a concern for me, and the unit is powerful enough to allow bounce flash under a greater variety of situations than what any shoe mount flash will give. On my non PC outlet cameras, I use a Safe-Sync on the hot shoe, but if the camera has a PC socket, the flash is plugged directly into the camera.
I'm not really up to speed on the differences in the 60 series beyond the CT-1 wasn't TTL ready, the CT-2 offered TTL support (not that it matters since modern cameras are no longer compatible with analog TTL. The built in sensor is more accurate than any TTL system Pentax has ever made, so the lack of support really isn't missed. The CT-4 offered a wink flash under the main head so that the photographer could get bounce as well as direct flash for catch lights.