Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[SOLVED] AF 540 FGZ with Cactus V5 problems

I have inconsistent results when mounting the AF 540 FGZ on a Cactus v5. Quite often the flash will not fire, and then I have to fiddle with it to get it to work, as in partially unmount and then remount the flash. And then any slight bump might be enough to kill the connection again. Using the locking collar seems to ensure that it will not work, making it nearly impossible to use the combo in certain positions. In short I am finding this combination unreliable enough that I tend to use my AF 500 FTZ instead when I need wireless, despite its slightly longer recycle time.

Has anyone had similar experience with this or a similar combination of flash and trigger, and is there a solution?

Last edited by baro-nite; 05-31-2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: problem solved; edit title
05-30-2012, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Never had a problem
05-30-2012, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Okay let me first say I do not have either the specific receiver or the flash. With that in mind my experience tells me (obviously) there is no circuit to trigger the flash. Check out a couple things for me... Make sure the primary pin is still fully extended and appropriately "springy". If good, take a look at the area I most suspect - the spring contacts on the side of the foot that connect with the sides of the shoe.

I half-way suspect one of the contacts has lost its spring. Make sure they are sticking out an equal distance from the foot and have an equal amount of spring to them. If not, the flash may be pushed toward the 'soft' side. Then either there isn't a good ground connection, or the primary bottom pin is no longer properly aligned with its contact on the shoe. It's a perfect reason for "now it works, and now it doesn't".
05-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you both; you've helped me figure it out. As simple (stupid) an answer as possible -- I was not getting the 540 fully into the shoe. It is a much tighter fit than the 500, and what I thought was the correct position was actually not fully engaged. I suspect the issue is the slightly different pin shape, and that it was getting stuck on the edge of the Cactus v5's center contact.

06-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #5

Thanks, baro-nite, for also posting the solution. I had the same problem. Could not find out why it would not work - tried two flashes, and two bodies and none would work. Just mount it properly and it works :-)