Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Af 140 ring flash

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the older Pentax 140 ring flash. I found one with no adapter plates. I have a Kr and an older smc fa 100mm macro lens which I believe is 52mm. Would this fit into the flash without any adapters? I called Pentax USA and they don't have any plates. Wondering if any of those Adaptors from some of cheap Chinese flashes would work?

Last edited by Eflytyer; 06-11-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Mispel
06-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was lucky enough to get one with the three adaptor rings. You might want to try a Cokin A adapter, it may be the right size. ANything will work as long as it's the right diameter for the flash to cling onto.
06-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
Cokin Plates

I called B+ H photo and asked them if the the Cokin plates would work, they didn't know. They said some of the ring flashes, like the Cannon one have slotted plates that lock and twist. Are your plates slotted? I hate to buy the thing and not be able to use it ( the flash) since it doesn't have any plates. B+H told me the only they could be sure this would work is if I took the camera, flash and lens to the store in NYC and tried it.
10-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry for the delay in responding. The AF140 has two little spring-loaded tabs that hold the adapter ring in place. One of your options may be to just position the flash over the lens and then keep it in place with tape or presstick (the white stuff you use for putting posters on walls). I think the rings were either 49/52/58mm so you should only have about a 1.5mm gap to fill between your lens and the flash. I have some Cokin-A rings I'll try and see if they fit.

10-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The current Pentax AF160FC Ringflash in all probability uses exactly the same mounting system as the older one - it might be possible to ask pentax for a "replacement" 52mm adapter ring. With the AF160FC they are already provided in the box - but i'm sure someone somewhere has had to replace one that has been lost.
11-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried the Cokin A ring last night. It fits the inner diameter with a small gap. The only problem is that it is too thick for the flash tabs to grip properly. You might want to try a ring and file it down on the four "corners
areas where the tabs go so that it can grip.