Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #1

Mecablitz 58 AF-2 servo mode

The Mecablitz 58 AF-2 flash user manual is missing the chapter on servo mode.
With this mode you can trigger the Metz 58 flash via another flash (for instance using the camera's built in flash to remotely trigger the Metz 58 flash)
Metz published it as an addendum and it can be downloaded at Pentax: Metz.

06-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Useful link, thanks.

Unfortunately this mode only works with flashes using the P-TTL system. It won't work by detecting a single flash, only by ignoring the pre-flash of the P-TTL system.

I wish Metz would also include another servo mode which merely flashes when it detects a SINGLE flash from another unit.

That would make it a better slave unit. It would also be nice if they'd include a miniplug in the flash unit itself for direct attachment to remote triggers.
06-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Useful link, thanks.

Unfortunately this mode only works with flashes using the P-TTL system. It won't work by detecting a single flash, only by ignoring the pre-flash of the P-TTL system.

I wish Metz would also include another servo mode which merely flashes when it detects a SINGLE flash from another unit.

That would make it a better slave unit. It would also be nice if they'd include a miniplug in the flash unit itself for direct attachment to remote triggers.
The Seagull SYK-5 optical slave has two modes - flash with the first flash, and wait a specified amount of time after the first flash before flashing. The time is variable via a knob between 70ms and 1.5s. I have been successful using this optical slave at the 70ms delay on an Vivitar 5500 flash from my film days; triggering it with my camera's built-in flash. In fact I have used it in a mixed environment including a wireless slave P-TTL flash also triggered by the built-in flash.

The variable timer is supposed to work with the common red-eye reduction pre-strobe found in many cameras. One of these days I need to borrow my wife's P&S and test it out. It might be an easy improvement to her family group snapshots if used as a bounce flash.
06-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If Metz could incorporate that sort of functionality in their flash line (which should be mostly just firmware programming) that would be a great thing to have.

Sounds like a useful gadget to have with the flash. I'll have to investigate. (Just when I thought I'd bought enough for awhile!!)

Thanks for the info.

(Edit 6 minutes later: Found on ebay and ordered 2. I couldn't resist.)

Last edited by mtansley; 06-16-2012 at 07:34 AM.