Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hot Shoe Cover

OK, I'm just getting started with flash. I'm totally confused but at this point I have a really simple question: what's the flash noob speed record for losing that piddley piece of plastic? Given my past performance with lens caps and remotes, I think I've got to be a contender for a new world record.

06-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think mine disappeared from my K10D the first week. It miraculously reappeared on top of my dresser a few months ago - after 5 years!! I lost my remote in the battery grip slot, as well as a spare 32Gb card.

I got a Pentax strap with little pockets and everything is perma-snapped in them now.
06-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I buy them by the dozen...
06-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took mine off when I unpacked the camera and put it away in the box so it will be safe in case I ever sell the camera. It's not really lost, but is that the record?

06-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I took mine off when I unpacked the camera and put it away in the box so it will be safe in case I ever sell the camera. It's not really lost, but is that the record?
I did the same - and popped a tiny bubble level in its place (not the big dual portait/landscape type - just a tiny landscape type). It was US$3 so I won't cry too loudly if I lose it. I find it handy when I'm setting up a tripod on an uneven terrain - and for those rare times I hope to stitch together a panorama and don't want to waste a bunch of each frame.
06-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good thing they are back in stock in the USA. For a while, they were unavailable. The cheap ones on eBay don't work and are not compatible.
06-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, it's been three days since I first removed it to mount the flash and the cover's back on the camera now so I guess I'm out of contention for the record. Thanks for the replies confirming my suspicion that this is going to be problematic. I'm guessing, btw, that, once I do lose the cover, I should stop parking my chewing gum up there, huh? ;~)

06-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm sure one of mine disappeared in either the vacuum cleaner or the washing machine But I have spares on other cameras if I have to
06-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I posted that I keep a bubble level in my hotshoe when not in use ... what is the issue with not having any form of cover? So long as you aren't doing something like accidentally on purpose (oxyMORON intended) shorting the contacts, what difference does it make?
06-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Mine is somewhere...when I take it off I put it in a memory card wallet, the flash pouch, a camera bag pocket, the lens cap pocket, or somewhere. I always put it somewhere...but then I forget where. Within a few hours at an event I have "lost" it. Right now I am working on it being MIA for about 4 months, but I fully expect to accidentally pull it out of something soon.
06-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Mine has never been on, and it's never been a problem.
06-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
While I posted that I keep a bubble level in my hotshoe when not in use ... what is the issue with not having any form of cover? So long as you aren't doing something like accidentally on purpose (oxyMORON intended) shorting the contacts, what difference does it make?
Missing the first line of defense? Shooting in the rain can short those contacts
06-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Missing the first line of defense? Shooting in the rain can short those contacts
It's hard to believe that thing represents serious weather-sealing.
06-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Do you really think so? If so, for the flagship models with WR, such claim would be false considering the hot shoe cover isn't WR. I think it's more of a visual thing than anything else, mine is somewhere in the clutter that surround my PC - I took it off when I started shooting with the ring flash, it hasn't been back on since.
06-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, pure water is a great insulator. It is the electrolytes dissolved in water that create problems. Rain water may not be pure, but its close. Salt spray on the ocean is something else again.

Personally, I have always taken some kind of steps to protect my gear in the rain, weather resistance or not. I carry one of the cheap plastic rain hoods in my bag, and even if I don't normally shoot with a filter, slap one of those on the lens.

I think the biggest risk of shorting comes from whatever bag you carry your camera in. A loose piece could bounce around. A hot shoe cover would offer some protection. Even there, and even though I am as brain-washed as many others and keep a cover on the hot shoe, I can't come up with a good reason for bothering with a cover under typical camera usage and storage.