Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"Grow bulbs" as photo lights.

Would something like this be good for DIY photofloods? (One per flood):

85W Full Spectrum CFL Grow Light Bulb 5500K | eBay

300 watt output... bright enough for a two-flood portrait light setup?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

06-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like they are pretty much the same bulbs the Westcott Spider light systems use. the Spiderlights grough 5 of them thoug (but with output control) and go in a softbox

certainly given westcott pricing you could jury rig a knockoff of their system for less than half the price by being creative

Westcott - Lighting - Spiderlite TD
06-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I've got a couple of these: Walmart.com: Bayco 10.5'' Brooder Clamp Light: Storage & Organization

I was thinking of equipping them with these: 4 in 1 Studio E27 Light Lamp Socket Splitter Adapter | eBay

And I've got stands & white umbrella reflectors. (you can also shoot the light through them for a softbox effect.) Silver umbrellas on the way soon.

So... waddya think?
06-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sounds like it would work to me. Softboxes are pretty cheap to add on too $20-$50 depending on size.

definitely looks like the splitter is being marketed as a cheap Westcott idea (the Westcott with 6 bulbs actually has 3 power switches for controlling output - I would imagine if you are halfway handy with electrical it would be an easy thing to ultimately build yourself - without the finesse of the machined product of course

I have a couple of those clamp lights as well. they aren't really rated for the draw of 4 of those bulbs (or for a big spot) but it would be easy to rewire one with heavier gauge wire as well.