Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Benefits of Different Size/Shape Reflectors

I've had a Neewer 5 in 1 32" reflector for about a year now. It has probably been one of my most useful accessories to date. I take it with me no matter what I'm shooting (you just never know). When I bought it, I didn't know if I'd ever use it, so I just bought the cheapest one I could find. For a couple of months now, I've been thinking about getting another one, but I wouldn't want to get the same size. I've been thinking about getting a 43" reflector but I'm not really sure if that would make a whole lot of difference from a 32". I've also looked into some of the rectangular 40" x 60" or even larger.

I remember seeing a guide once that explained the differences that each size and shape of reflector had on an image but of course I never saved the link and it's now lost in the netherworld of the internet forever.

I'm hoping that I can get some advice from you guys. Is getting a 43" more beneficial than a 32"? Should I be looking into something bigger? Why?

I only shoot for fun and when I do, it's usually outdoors (occasionally indoors) and I'm usually shooting portraits and snapshots of individuals or small groups.

I'm going on vacation in about a week and would really like to order it soon (today if possible) so that I can get it before I leave. Thanks.

06-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I'm hoping that I can get some advice from you guys. Is getting a 43" more beneficial than a 32"? Should I be looking into something bigger? Why?

The larger the reflector, the larger the light source - the larger the light source, the more area that can be illuminated using the same light input (in most cases, the sun). You can also bend reflectors to change intensity of the light or change the coverage area that the reflector illuminates. Small reflectors come in handy when doing shoulder up portraits - very minor changes in distance to subject with the small reflector effects the illumination quite a bit, you can also control illuminated points quite a bit better with smaller reflectors.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both - for groups of people, my recommendation would be "The Larger The Better"...
06-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you should go larger like 40*60, with that you can do full body or half body with 2,3 people. open more possibility with your photoshoot.
your 32" is fine for one person half body or general go out reflector