Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Can't use V5 (or other remote trigger) as shutter trigger in hot shoe above 1/180?

Hi all,

I have starting using my v5 triggers as remote shutter triggers for baseball, setting a K10d up at ground level near home plate, and triggering the shutter by pressing the transmitter in my hand. It works fine.

I was thinking that it would be nice to be able to put the transmitter in the hot shoe of my K-5, so that I could trigger the remote K10d camera when I press the shutter on my K-5. Since I'm shooting action though, my shutter speed on the K-5 will always be greater than the 1/180 max synch speed. So in this case the camera won't fire the trigger, right? Putting the camera in HSS mode would not work either, right? (I've hardly ever attempted HSS, so I'm not even sure if I remember if you set the cam to HSS or just the flash.)

This is another case where I wish Pentax would simply just allow the camera to trigger the flash at greater than 1/180 with a menu override.

07-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Except when in HSS mode, flash-triggering circuit in Pentax DSLRs does not operate above sync speed (1/180 sec).

HSS mode requires p-TTL. p-TTL requires communication between flash and camera.

None of the RF remote triggering devices support p-TTL.

Something I have not tried: via a Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F (31022), attach a flash in HSS mode (e.g. AF540FGZ) and an RF remote transmitter to a camera body, set the speed above 1/180, and see if the transmitter can trigger a receiver controlling another camera body. If I have time, I'll try it tonight.

Last edited by SOldBear; 07-05-2012 at 10:38 AM.
07-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
This is another case where I wish Pentax would simply just allow the camera to trigger the flash at greater than 1/180 with a menu override.
You are aware of the implications? Part of your picture will be black And the faster the shutter speed, the bigger the part that will be black.

Edit: sorry, think I misuderstood your post No flash involved after re-reading, just triggering.

Last edited by sterretje; 07-06-2012 at 04:36 AM.
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks soldbear, interesting idea. Let me know if that works. I sure would look wierd outside on a sunny day with a 300 mm lens and a flash mounted though!

07-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

There might be one soon. I just got this in my email today:
Dear Ray,

Thanks for interested in our new product AK-TTL for Pentax.
It will available in about 2 weeks.
We will email you as soon as it available.
Best regards,

Kevin
Aokatec Team
07-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I was thinking that it would be nice to be able to put the transmitter in the hot shoe of my K-5, so that I could trigger the remote K10d camera when I press the shutter on my K-5.
With three V5, you could use one as a transmitter and use the other two to fire a camera each respectively. You'd need two remote shutter trigger cables as well but I believe this setup would be a solution to your challenge.
07-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
With three V5, you could use one as a transmitter and use the other two to fire a camera each respectively. You'd need two remote shutter trigger cables as well but I believe this setup would be a solution to your challenge.
Yes, that could work, but I want to hold the K-5 and shoot with it. I suppose I could somehow hold the K-5 and the tranmitter at the same time, but that would be awkward.
07-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks soldbear, interesting idea. Let me know if that works. I sure would look wierd outside on a sunny day with a 300 mm lens and a flash mounted though!
It didn't work at all.

I tested with Yongnuo RF-602. The receiver was attached to a K10D. When I pushed the button on the transmitter, it fires the K10D all right.

I then attached the transmitter to a K7's hotshoe. The K7, with a shutter speed below 1/180 sec, fired the K10D every other time.

I then use the Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F to attached both an AF540FGZ and the Yongnuo transmitter to the K7, with a shutter speed below 1/180 sec, when the flash was ready, the K10D was fired repeatedly and uncontrollably by the Yongnuo receiver. The flash must have sent some signal to the Yonguo transmitter telling it to trigger the receiver.

I didn't bother with the K7 in HSS.

07-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you can do what you need but it will take using a 2.5mm stereo male to male cord, coming out of the shutter remote jack.

You cannot use the hot shoe or PC cord jack because these are deactivated above 1/180 sec. I will test it once I get the right cable.

I have tested it by plugging my remote release cord into the cactus clone triggers I have, and depressing the button on the remote all the way down will trigger the cactus.

You can mount the cactus on the hotshoe of your K-5 for convenience, but you need to insulate the contacts with a piece of electrical tape so the camera doesn't think you have a flash on it.

The cord I think will work is this one.
Angled 2.5mm Stereo M / M Mini Plug Patch Cable 1.5 Ft 670561989054 | eBay

EDIT: I took apart my remote switch to test my theory and it is inconclusive.
I used a continuity tester to see if i could get a signal at the two points when I depressed the shutter on my K-5 and I don't get a reading.
I'll order the cables and conduct a test when they arrive.

Last edited by crewl1; 07-10-2012 at 12:51 PM.
07-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems the Cactus V5 uses a 3.5mm shutter jack on its side, so the cables I linked to will not work for you, as they would on my clones.

In any case I will report back once the cable I ordered arrives.
07-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
It didn't work at all.

I tested with Yongnuo RF-602. The receiver was attached to a K10D. When I pushed the button on the transmitter, it fires the K10D all right.

I then attached the transmitter to a K7's hotshoe. The K7, with a shutter speed below 1/180 sec, fired the K10D every other time.

I then use the Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F to attached both an AF540FGZ and the Yongnuo transmitter to the K7, with a shutter speed below 1/180 sec, when the flash was ready, the K10D was fired repeatedly and uncontrollably by the Yongnuo receiver. The flash must have sent some signal to the Yonguo transmitter telling it to trigger the receiver.

I didn't bother with the K7 in HSS.
Thanks very much.

If I understand you correctly, what you saw actually makes sense, right? In HSS mode the flash actually fires repeatedly in pulses rather than one pulse. Sounds like the shoe mounted V5 is picking those firing triggers from the hot shoe and sending it to the remote camera ("repeatedly and uncontrollably").
07-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I received the stereo 2.5mm cables and ran a test this morning.

Since I don't have a second camera to test I just used the receiver with a flash.

The good news: I can trigger the remote flash at any shutter speed on the k-5.
1/2000, 1/1000 no problem, the flash fires when I press the shutter.

The bad news: when the k-5 goes to rest mode after no shutter presses it sends rapid trigger pulses out of the jack.
So the remotes are signaling in this pulse fashion.

This is disappointing, sorry. Not sure why this happens but it seems the camera is constantly testing for a shutter input at the jack for wake up?
Don't know a way around this. If anyone has ideas please advise.
07-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I received the stereo 2.5mm cables and ran a test this morning.

Since I don't have a second camera to test I just used the receiver with a flash.

The good news: I can trigger the remote flash at any shutter speed on the k-5.
1/2000, 1/1000 no problem, the flash fires when I press the shutter.

The bad news: when the k-5 goes to rest mode after no shutter presses it sends rapid trigger pulses out of the jack.
So the remotes are signaling in this pulse fashion.

This is disappointing, sorry. Not sure why this happens but it seems the camera is constantly testing for a shutter input at the jack for wake up?
Don't know a way around this. If anyone has ideas please advise.
I'm not sure I'm following what you are trying to do.

I was trying to trigger the shutter of a K10d remotely, while taking pictures with my K-5 with shutter speeds faster than 1/180 second. It sounds like you were saying that if I connected a Cactus V5 transmitter to my K-5 via a cord into the remote shutter release, when I press the K-5 shutter button, it would send a signal though the cord to the V-5 to transmit a signal to the other V-5 receiver?
07-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds like you were saying that if I connected a Cactus V5 transmitter to my K-5 via a cord into the remote shutter release, when I press the K-5 shutter button, it would send a signal though the cord to the V-5 to transmit a signal to the other V-5 receiver?
Yes, however the setup I used was with an older Cactus clone called PT-04 (Cowboy Studio)

In any case, the test failed because the K-5 sends a rapid pulse out of the jack when in rest mode.
07-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by callmeraymon Quote
There might be one soon. I just got this in my email today:
Dear Ray,

Thanks for interested in our new product AK-TTL for Pentax.
It will available in about 2 weeks.
We will email you as soon as it available.
Best regards,

Kevin
Aokatec Team
Oh my. I'd love HSS with RF wireless.