Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Metz AF-1 bulb exploded

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey guys,

This weekend my flash Metz AF-1 bulb exploded, I look through ebay to find a bulb to replace it Metz 58 AF-1 Flash Tube Xenon lamp repair replacement part | eBay
Im wondering how to open the flash without having to send it!?

Thanks!

07-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just FYI for anyone reading this: My Metz 54 is in the shop to get the flash tube replaced. The cost is $89 (mostly labor, so shouldn't vary too much from flash to flash).
07-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You should be careful opening any flash, the capacitors in smaller ones will give you a little tingle, but bigger flashes have much bigger capacitors that could result in actual injuries. They store power, so even if the batteries are out, they can still be fully charged. They can stay charged for quite a long time if there is no bleeder resistor in the circuit to slowly discharge the capacitor when the flash is off.
07-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
bigger flashes have much bigger capacitors that could result in actual injuries

Yes there are more than a few flash units out there that have about the same power specs (or even greater) than a defibulator

07-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I still remember my first encounter with a flash capacitor, it was in a disposable camera I was dissecting for some reason. I get the case apart and am looking around, battery already removed of course. I had some of it laid out on my hand and started to feel the camera vibrate, I immediately thought something was weird, since there should be no motors or anything inside the camera that could cause a vibration. Then I realized it was my hand vibrating, not the camera.

I knew better by the time I was repairing my Vivitar 2800 and discharged the capacitor as soon as I saw it.