Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #1

Sigma EF-610 DG Super Timing issue

Hi Guys,

Hope this is the correct place for my question.

I am trying to get the wireless flash working for my Sigma EF-610 with the k200d.

I have it working in wireless TTL mode OK, but the timing seems to be off in the Normal Slave mode.

Wondering if anyone else has come across the same issue. Don;t think I could even see the flash with the shutter speed down to ~1/15 sec.
I can see the flash firing, so maybe it is firing too early.

Shaun Scott

07-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Set up a subject that is a few inches from a lighter colored background - my office coffee pot has been photographed so often, it is going to start charging me model fees. Make sure the lights are somewhat dim so most of the light will come from your flash(es). Put your flash at a 45 degree angle from your lens. Don't bother looking at what your flash during the exposures, look at your test pictures. The shadows in your test pictures will tell you exactly what your flash is or is not doing.

I own the flash in question and a K-r. This is the test that told me whether or not I had the settings correct. Based on the shadows I was also able to figure out if the built-in flash was acting solely as a P-TTL controller, or if it was participating in the exposure.

Again, ignore what your eyes think they see, look at a few test shots to see what the camera sees.
07-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It can fire due to the pTTL pre-flash and not fire when you actually need it. If you use 2-second delay (on the camera), you can see if the remote flash fires before the mirror goes up; if so, pre-flash is the cause as your flash did not recharge enough before the actual picture is taken.
07-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Jim and Sterretje,

Thanks guys for the Replies, Jim, I have taken some test shots, but I haven't had a chance to have a look on the computer yet.

Sterretje, I think you may be onto something there. When I set it to the 2-second delay, There are two flashes from the on camera flash, and the first flash appears to be setting off the remote flash.

I finaly dragged out the Manual, as the one I was reading online was a generic one and it reads:

Since malfunction is caused by pre-flash in P-TTL Flash units, built-in flash of MZ-S, MZ-L, *ist or digital SLR Cameras cannot be used. In addition if you use Pentax brand flashgun for the camera side, Please use in Manual Flash mode.

So I am thinking I may not be able to use this flash as a normal slave flash.

Shaun

07-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use it as a slave by using a simple (non pTTL flash) on the camera.