Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How big a reflector is enough?

Hi all,

I wanted to get a reflector, and narrow down to a diameter of 43" and a 32" one.

I wonder if the 32" one is sufficient, say, for two person head shots?
I am hoping to improve lighting in outdoor situations.

43" one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZIMEMW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?ie=UTF8&smid=AL7LHK6Q9LVTS

32" one:
Amazon.com: NEEWER

Would like to hear your advise. Much Thanks!

07-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own those exact two. I find that the 32" works really well for on person. I don't know if it will work really well for two people (maybe if they were really close).

The 43" is probably a little better for two people. You will probably have to play around with it and I don't think the two people will be able to be too far away from each other.

One thing I do want to point out is the 32" and the 43" don't really sound to be very different in size, but they are. The 43" is a lot bigger.

If you really want to do two person head shots, the 32" probably won't be enough in most situations. The 43" might work.
07-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I own those exact two. I find that the 32" works really well for on person. I don't know if it will work really well for two people (maybe if they were really close).

The 43" is probably a little better for two people. You will probably have to play around with it and I don't think the two people will be able to be too far away from each other.

One thing I do want to point out is the 32" and the 43" don't really sound to be very different in size, but they are. The 43" is a lot bigger.

If you really want to do two person head shots, the 32" probably won't be enough in most situations. The 43" might work.
Much thanks!!

Can you tell me when they are folded, what is their respective diameter? the 43" one said to be folded into 13" while the 32" one said to be 15", which don't quite make sense. Would you comment of the portability (like keeping them in camera bag) of these two (which one is more convenient)?

If you have a picture of these two relative to a Pentax Camera (might be asking too much).....
07-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have many reflectors, one which is aprox. 5'
I usually use it indoors to work with taller portraits.
When I collapse it, its quite small. Something around 20" in dia.
I have a seperate bag for my reflectors but I'd have no issues stuffing them(including my big one) in my main pack if I had to. But the stands require a separate bag.

07-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 32" is about 13" when folded. The 43" is about 15" (maybe 16"). That obviously makes the 32" more portable. If I had bought the 43" before the 32" I probably would have never bought the 32". There's not really that much of a difference to make one a lot more portable than the other, but the 43" gives you much more of a surface to work with.

I've usually just clipped one or the other to my camera bag, I don't think they will fit inside of a camera bag without taking up too much space for other things.
07-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys! really helpful. will get the 42 inch one. =)
07-27-2012, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

FWIW - I've often wished for a larger reflector. Can't recall ever wishing for a smaller one. But that's just me.
07-29-2012, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get as Big as Possible

I have a 32" one as I decided it fits nicely folded in my bag. However, shooting with other photographers I've discovered a much bigger one is better, it works better to block the sun, it can reflect the light further allowing it to stay out of the shot if your using a wide angle, and it creates a more even light.

Get a bigger one, if I couldn't borrow one, I'd have bought my own in a heart beat.

08-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thanks jford and omega leader. =)
08-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can recommend getting a couple of these types which I use for most of my jobs Collapsible Photo Studio 5-in-1 Reflector 100cm x 150cm | eBay

The five in one, has options of white, black, silver, gold and translucent to diffuse light and all at 40" x 60" size. You can always move the reflector further back for less bold effects. It still folds down into 20" diameter zipped case when not in use, ideal to carry about.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.
08-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I have many reflectors, one which is aprox. 5'
I usually use it indoors to work with taller portraits.
When I collapse it, its quite small. Something around 20" in dia.
I have a seperate bag for my reflectors but I'd have no issues stuffing them(including my big one) in my main pack if I had to. But the stands require a separate bag.
Hi John, could you elaborate on what bag you have to hold your reflectors?

Thanks
Jim
08-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got my 43' reflector .... hm... definitely not the size you can stuff in your regular camera bag. =)
Will see how this works out.

Lee