Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

good old TTL flash recommendations?

Hi

I have plans to buy an ist DS for dedicated macro body and want some recommendations on some good old flash with adjustable flash levels and TTL (not P-TTL).

It would be good if it was tiltable and have slave function (not necessary).

Any suggestions?

08-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm using a AF280T. It doesn't have flash levels, but does have several auto settings. And it has a 15 degree downward tilt for closeups.
08-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the time I use my Vivitar 285HV's for macro flash since they are easily adjustable. Obviously that is manual only.

I do have a nice little Vivitar Series One DF-383-PEN that I use with my K7 using P-TTL. The manual claims that it will do TTL with film cameras as well but I have not personally tried it that way. It does have adjustable power levels from 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 1/1, but it only seems to do that in manual mode. It is quite a handy flash and has tilt, swivel, power zoom, reflector plate and diffuser. It is GN 148(ft) at ISO 100. It can also work as an off-camera slave and be triggered by another flash within line of sight although it does this only on manual so it is not quite as handy as P-TTL slave.

I have owned mine for a year (bought it right after I sold my AF540) and I use it with my K7 quite a bit. They can still be found on flea bay for about $115.

It is not the most sturdy looking flash I own but it is certainly built no worse than Pentax's own AF540.
08-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would look for a Metz 40 MZ-2 or 40 MZ-3. You would need a SCA adapter 3701 or 3702. It doesn't support highspeed and pTTL, and for multiflash the Metz instead the Pentax system. But otherwise it has all the bells and whistles possible with a flash. And the GN of 40 (metric) is related to the old standard (would nowadays be labelled as GN 58). And these flashes are VERY sturdy.

I don't know about prices in the US, but on German eBay I got two of them for about € 60 each. I had to get the adapters separately, but payed for them about the same as I got when I sold the Canon/Nikon adapters which came with the flashes.

EDIT: But maybe I misunderstood and you are looking for a ring flash?

08-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as your lens is not in the A position, am af540fgz will do just fine.

You could also get an AF500ftz
08-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
Im not in search of a macro ring flash, just a regular one.

The reason I want suggestions is that I dont have much money to spend, but I want a good old TTL capable body + good old flash from fleabay.

Ill keep the suggestions in mind. More suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks