Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #16

Thanks for the reply. That looks really awesome and I know what my Christmas present is going to be

08-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
well worth the money if you want Pttl either at a range out side the normal on board flash or it is bright sunlight which also stops it working as well.
I would also point out the kit is supposed to work as a wirless trigger as well but I have not tested that as I have other wireless kit that I normally use for full flash creativity.
08-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I am a little confused as to what this does.

So it will transfer P-TTL info wirelessly as a radio signal? Will it transfer that info to a Nikon flash, or does it have to be a Pentax Flash?

Also, as ADWB pointed out. While this will transfer TTL info , would it transfer correct TTL info? Its covering the pop up flash, right? The camera reads the pre-flash and sets the flash power. if the pop up flash is covered, the camera wont meter it right, and will send the wrong exposure info to the flash. Right?

I think its the same with Nikon CLS...where if you put a flash off to the side of someone's face, set it to TTL, and take a picture from the front, you may get a correctly exposed front face but an overexposure on the ears.......because the flash is trying to give you correct metering based on where your camera was pointing at.
08-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Well the MFG says any flash from what I can see, and from my tests, if you are in the sort of range that the pop up will trigger your remote flash and you use it the images look the same with either method,.

I think however where this kit scores is that it somehow [ and I don't have any idea how] it still works when you are way out of the range that the pop up can trigger either as controller or master.

It also works on abright day when the slave does not always seem to see the trigger flash.

I suppose we should not loose sight of the fact that slave flashes were I think originally meant to used inside rather than outside.

Slave flash inside works at long distances with even the reduced controller flash when it has lots of reflective surfaces inside to bounce off.

It's the out side use that interests me because of the wedding / portraiture I do, and for that this kit works.

08-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant to say, will it function with a nikon flash if the camera was pentax?
The only way i see this useful for me would be if it allows mix and matching for camera brands - as i shoot with both bodies for weddings.
08-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Hmm, I very much doubt that would work the two brands use a different system.
ask support@aokatec.com they answered me very quickly when I asked questions.
08-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #22

If I was to hazard a guess, I suspect that the triggers are the same for all manufacturers. What these AK-TTL triggers do is convert the IR signal emitted from the pop-up flash into a radio signal, which is then converted back to IR to be fed into the flash. As such, there is not going to be anything manufacturer specific in them as there would be no need. There are huge benefits to keeping them the same across all manufacturers, particularly as they get to leverage economies of scale.

Would be nice if someone could confirm this.

08-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

do Nikon/ Cannon use the same pttl sysytem? if so why do the pocket wizzzards or whatever not work with Pentax? and why do you have to buy brand specific models from third party mfg like Metz?
we need some one with both brands to test

Last edited by adwb; 08-24-2012 at 12:24 AM.
08-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #24

The pocket wizards slot onto the flash hot shoe, and the problem is that the pins are different across manufacturers. For example, see this top view of the Canon 650D vs the Nikon D3200. The center pin is standard, and that's the "firing pin" which is why manual flashes work across manufacturers. The smaller pins are the ones that transmit TTL information and these are laid out differently and likely encode commands differently (Canon has 4 pins, Nikon 3).

The AK-TTL triggers run into no such issues, as they just "dumbly" convert IR signals to radio and back again.
08-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

exactly my point, thanks for the clarification, it needs someone with a Pentax body and a Nikon flash to test this kit out or as I previously said ask -aokatec-
08-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #26

Pentax body with Nikon flash is not going to work. That's because the TTL commands are different across manufacturers. Manual firing will still work.

I thought you mean using the same pair of AK-TTL triggers on a Pentax system camera + flash = Pentax) and then using those triggers on a Nikon system (camera + flash = Nikon), which should work.
08-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

yes thats what I said in post#21/23 re incompatibility .
I am not sure what you mean ,however if you mean will it work on a all Nikon kit setup the answer should be yes according to aokatec's website
08-24-2012, 02:41 AM   #28

I think that means we're in agreement. We've just been going round in circles because we weren't understanding each other.
08-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
Inactive Account

You can try touse a studio flash or a manual flash likevibitar or yongnuo and see if you canusehigh speed flash withthem? Aokatec wrote me they work.