Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need help with RF-603Cs on K-5

After reading here about remote triggers I thought I'd get a set of RF-603C flash triggers and try them out on my K-5.

I've read the instructions, such as they are, and tried them with my K-5 and off-camera flash.

The Flash works flawlessly with the K-5 when mounted on the hotshoe and when the manual button on the back is depressed for testing the flash.

The RF-603Cs have fresh batteries and the lights turn green on each when I turn them on and red when I depress the button on the triggers themselves.

They are both on the same channel via the dip switch settings.

When I depress the button on one RF-603C its light turns red but nothing happens on the other RF-603C.

When I place one on my camera and one on the flash with both on and I take a picture nothing happens with the units (no change to red when the shutter button is depressed) and no flash goes off.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

08-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

I think you fell into the same trap I did. I thought I read that the 603c would work (I have a K200D). I misread though - they'd trigger the camera using the trigger cable, but I couldn't get the flash to trigger with them. I ended up getting different triggers. Apparently the 603 does not work with K200D, k5, k7, etc.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/179715-...t-working.html
08-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
I think you fell into the same trap I did. I thought I read that the 603c would work (I have a K200D). I misread though - they'd trigger the camera using the trigger cable, but I couldn't get the flash to trigger with them. I ended up getting different triggers. Apparently the 603 does not work with K200D, k5, k7, etc.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/179715-...t-working.html
It seems that the RF-602 (that's the TWO at the end) work with the Pentax cameras but the RF-603s do not. Annoying as there was a post that said 603 and raved about them working. Ah well, at least they did not cost much. Now, who do I know with a Canon Camera?
08-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The RF-602 isn't perfect, they don't sync properly at 1/180 on a Pentax body. The Nikon transmitters can be modified to work properly, but the Canon version can't.

08-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The RF-602 isn't perfect, they don't sync properly at 1/180 on a Pentax body. The Nikon transmitters can be modified to work properly, but the Canon version can't.
Thanks. At least they work at all unlike the RF-603s.
08-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. At least they work at all unlike the RF-603s.
Yeah, I had returned mine to seller. I was out shipping, but they at least didn't charge me restocking. The ones joe.penn recommended in that thread I linked to work pretty well, if you're still looking for options. I don't use them much, but they worked at least. I don't think i've been able to trigger the camera from the flash remote; though, that could be all in my own inabilities to figure things out. It's nice they have their own tripod mounts, which is nice. If I recall, the 603s didn't.
08-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I think the PT-04 triggers are the cheapest ones that will properly work on Pentax, I have modified RF-602s, but if I was choosing something to buy now I'd probably go for the PT-04.

08-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the PT-04 triggers are the cheapest ones that will properly work on Pentax, I have modified RF-602s, but if I was choosing something to buy now I'd probably go for the PT-04.
Thanks. I just ordered the trigger and 2 receiver set from Amazon. At least with Amazon if they don't work they can be returned.
08-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like my 602s overall but the sync speed is limited to about 1/125 or so. It really sucks if you accidently roll the front wheel and speed up the shutter!
08-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
I like my 602s overall but the sync speed is limited to about 1/125 or so. It really sucks if you accidently roll the front wheel and speed up the shutter!
They will sync at 1/180 if you hold the button on the transmitter half way down while taking the shot, this will work with the Nikon and Canon versions. I have used a rubber band to accomplish this, but if you forget to remove it the battery will go dead. On the Nikon transmitter you can add a capacitor for a more permanent solution.
08-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They will sync at 1/180 if you hold the button on the transmitter half way down while taking the shot, this will work with the Nikon and Canon versions. I have used a rubber band to accomplish this, but if you forget to remove it the battery will go dead. On the Nikon transmitter you can add a capacitor for a more permanent solution.
Thanks. After purchasing RE-603C flash transceivers based on a glowing report here on PF and finding out that they actually do not work on Pentax cameras, I purchased a CowboyStudio NPT-04 1+2 set that has very good reviews here. I'm just getting into off camera flash and could not justify $60 for the Cactus v5s or even more for the $340 for a pair of PocketWizards. The nice part of having the 1+2 set is that my old manual flashes can also be triggered remotely thereby giving me a 2 flash setup with more options.
08-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Would be interesting to see exactly why they don't work, there might be a simple modification for the RF-603s to make them more universal. I think it has to do with the sensing, since either can be a transmitter or receiver, it is supposed to figure it out whether it is in a hotshoe or not. If it isn't seeing the proper signal from the hotshoe, it is thinking it is a receiver.
08-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would be interesting to see exactly why they don't work, there might be a simple modification for the RF-603s to make them more universal. I think it has to do with the sensing, since either can be a transmitter or receiver, it is supposed to figure it out whether it is in a hotshoe or not. If it isn't seeing the proper signal from the hotshoe, it is thinking it is a receiver.
From what I have been able to find out I think you are on the right track. The alignment of the pins on the Canon are a bit off from the Pentax.
08-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
Inactive Account

There might be a permanent modification that will make it always think it is a transmitter. Looking at the pinout of a Canon hotshoe, I would bet it could be done by pulling the ID pin in the trigger high.
08-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There might be a permanent modification that will make it always think it is a transmitter. Looking at the pinout of a Canon hotshoe, I would bet it could be done by pulling the ID pin in the trigger high.
I'd be happy to modify one to always be the T and the other always be the R. Just mark them and use them in those roles consistently. I can't return mine and at present they will just sit and gather dust unless I sell them or give them to a Canon shooter.