Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any reason this won't work? (off camera flash sync cord)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I wanna use this:

Std to Hot Shoe w/PC Cord [DL-0136] : Dot Line Corp., Serving You Since 1963

and this:

Flash Hot Shoe PC Sync Cord Socket Adapter for Camera | eBay

... to connect my Sunpak 422D to my Pentax DSLRs and use with a flash bracket for off-camera manual flash use.

OR - maybe this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221084752672&fromMakeTrac...#ht_2076wt_952

and two of these:

Flash Hot Shoe PC Sync Cord Socket Adapter for Camera | eBay

I assume these devices are just a straight electrical connection either way you'd connect them?

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 08-16-2012 at 07:27 AM.
08-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does k-x have a PC Sync port? If not then you need two of the ones that mount on the hot shoe and the PC Sync cable. Connect the cable between the two, one goes on the camera hotshoe the other on the flash.

Definitely all manual, all it will do is trigger the flash. If the flash has various power settings you can try those and if it has an 'auto' mode try that. I have found the 'auto' mode on older flashes sometimes works quite well, you have to set the f stop on the flash and match that to the camera.

I use a similar setup but mine has plugs for 1/8 mini audio jacks. The cables are cheap and available in any length you want. They are harder to find though. PC Sync is standard for camera stuff.
08-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
jatrax:

Nope... no pc sync on the K-x. Strictly a hot shoe. And I use manual flash all of the time anyway, so no biggie. The Sunpaks have variable power & I use the heck out of that feature as well.

All I need it to do is trigger the flash, so looks like I'm in business. I'll probably go with 2 of the hot shoe to PC adapters and a straight female to female PC cable to link the two. I'd just get a hotshoe to hotshoe cable, but those are much more spendy. This'll do the same thing for less money.
08-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
This'll do the same thing for less money.
Should work fine. I went with the 1/8" plugs so I could move the flash further from the camera than PC cords would allow, long PC cords are expensive. But if the distance is short PC cable works fine. Take care on the cable though, cheap PC cords have a high failure rate because of the connector design. I had a couple fail on me when the little flange broke off and they would not stay connected. I think they make a slightly different design that has a twist lock but I suppose that would be non-standard.

Best,
John

08-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I can find a couple of the adapters with the 1/8" sockets I might go with those & make my own cables. I have high quality wire & plenty of good 1/8" connectors laying around. Plus, I can make whatever length I need that way.
08-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
... to connect my Sunpak 422D to my Pentax DSLRs and use with a flash bracket for off-camera manual flash use.
For a Sunpak 422D (or any of the Sunpak flashes that take the dedicated module), get the "Sunpak Dedicated Remote Cord EXT-10." It's only a few bucks from KEH: Link.

If the EXT-10 is not available, the EXT-08 will do.

It's very solid. The best thing is that the light sensor of the flash always facing forward, allowing you to use flash auto mode no matter where the flash head is facing. The setup will look like this (the bracket & handle are recycled from a dead Sunpak 522):

08-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
For a Sunpak 422D (or any of the Sunpak flashes that take the dedicated module), get the "Sunpak Dedicated Remote Cord EXT-10.
Thanks for the tip! KEH's shipping is a little high, but I found an EXT-10 for $14 total on eBay. (KEH would be $22.) So I went with that. It does look like a more robust solution for about the same cash outlay.