Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #1

LED ring flash

does anyone have experience with LED ring flashes on Macro lens?

Are they worthwhile?

08-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understood from other threads that the LED models are not flashes but continuous on lights.
08-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
There is no reason LEDs couldn't be used as a 'flash' rather than continuously on. My smartphone does just this. But I'm with Docrwm, all the LED based macro ring lights I've seen are continuous on lights. On the negative side, LEDs have been accused of not producing a full color spectrum of visible light. On the positive side, a continuous light will assist with focusing (auto or manual), and something I have yet to see mentioned - making macro videos. And of course, they are generally less expensive than traditional flashes.
08-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not have one but considered it and read up quite a bit on them. The good is that they are very inexpensive compared to actual ring flashes. The not so good: Not as much light output, color of the light can be odd depending on the brand, you can often see individual LEDs in the image if you get any reflection. I ended up getting an old Pentax ring flash at a good price so I never bought the LED one. I think for the money they are worth a try as long as you understand the negatives.

08-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Continuous light source. Ok for still life subjects, but won't stop action, ie flowers in the breeze (outside), bugs, etc.
08-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Continuous light source. Ok for still life subjects, but won't stop action, ie flowers in the breeze (outside), bugs, etc.
Time to switch to video mode!
08-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kempie Quote
does anyone have experience with LED ring flashes on Macro lens?

Are they worthwhile?

Yes it's worthwhile, from shooting tabletop to portraiture where you want flat lighting

08-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a ring light, but I do have this LED light panel:
Amazon.com: Nanguang LED Video Light Lamp for Camera DV Camcorder Lighting 5400K: Camera & Photo

I mount it on a hotshoe adapter (no electrical connection) that allows me to tilt and swivel a flash. I can tilt the panel to shine just past my macro setup. I typically use the clear diffusion lens for macro. The switch is a thumb wheel to adjust intensity. The angled lighting looks a bit more natural to me. And the size of the panel makes for a light source equal to or bigger than most macro subjects for soft lighting.

I can also use the panel for video either with my Pentax body or with my 'deck of cards' sized Flip style video pocket camera.
08-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Meike FC100 Macro Ring Flash / Light, and it is both a flash and a light. (Find it on either Amazon or $bay. There is not a Pentax specific model despite the specifications made by some.)
It's cheap, and it actually works well enough to be worth it. Don't count on the flash, though. I find it much easier to just use the light and get my aperture/shutter set properly.
08-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #10

have you considered ring flash adapters? they are relatively inexpensive, but if you are a serious macro shooter, they may not be for you
08-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just saw one in the Adorama print circular that was both an LED and genuine flash. I think it was the VL-48 and was<$60.