Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Metz 50 AF-1: What's a good second flash?

I currently have a Metz 50 AF-1 flash. I've been wanting to get a second flash for a while now, but haven't really known what to get.

My options (I'm sure there are more than just these) are:

1) Save up and get a Metz 58 AF-2 flash: Amazon.com: Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 Digital Flash for Pentax Cameras: Camera & Photo

2) Buy another Metz 50 AF-1 flash: Amazon.com: Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 Digital Flash for Pentax Cameras: Camera & Photo

3) Yongnuo YN-560II: Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58.: Camera & Photo

Has anyone else been in my situation? What did you do? I do use manual triggers, but I don't know if there is a benefit to having another flash with PTTL. I also don't know if there is a real benefit to the Metz 58. I know it's more powerful, but I've never been able to find out how much more powerful or if I would even need that.

I'm hoping to order something this week. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

08-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I Have two 58AF-1s. There is a value in using matched flashes, even if you're using manual triggers. I bought my second one while my first one was getting a bulb replaced. It's easier (at least for me) to use them in tandem (even though I am now using manual triggers, too). I have never used the AF50, but have used the AF48s. They're all good flashes; think about either getting another 50, or, if you're just planning to get an upgrade and keep the 50 as a backup, get the 58AF-2.
08-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

One thing the 58 AF-2 has that the 50 AF-1 doesnt have that i miss is the "A" mode where you can use the flashes own light meter as an automatic mode.
I use it on my Pentax AF540.

Another thing with Met flashes is that you can only have them as slaves in P-TTL wires not a controller or master mounted to the camera.
I think only the Pentax AF60 and AF540 will do this. This is why I ve got an AF540 and a Met 50. Bit difficult to remember 2 sets of controls though.
08-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

Steve:
I use my 58AF-1s as a master on my hotshoe and as a slave on a lightstand. It works perfectly.

08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Since the flash metering on the K5 is diabolical I would deffo go with the 58. It gives you the option of using the auto option with the flashes built in sensor. If the CLE is anything to go by.... its very accurate indeed.
08-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

I'd recommend also considering Sigma and Nissin flashes. They are very good value.

TTL is handy when you shoot events. Otherwise, manual triggering is OK.

Last edited by Green Li; 08-28-2012 at 04:01 PM.
09-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #7

It depends on what you need it for, I own all 3 of them, and two yn 560s
Do you need it for shooting events?save for the 58 and make the 50 become your second flash.
Do you only need it for studio, strobist stuff? buy the yongnuo.
That's what I do, if I nedd to go to a party, wedding or whatever I'll bring my metz(es), If i'm doing a portrait, still life, product shooting, i'll use my Yn560s or a combination of the four but all in manual mode.
If you just want a second pure TTL flash consider the metz 44af1, I've had it in my bag for a while just in case my 48af-1 failed for some reason.

09-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neo_ Quote
It depends on what you need it for, I own all 3 of them, and two yn 560s
Do you need it for shooting events?save for the 58 and make the 50 become your second flash.
Do you only need it for studio, strobist stuff? buy the yongnuo.
That's what I do, if I nedd to go to a party, wedding or whatever I'll bring my metz(es), If i'm doing a portrait, still life, product shooting, i'll use my Yn560s or a combination of the four but all in manual mode.
If you just want a second pure TTL flash consider the metz 44af1, I've had it in my bag for a while just in case my 48af-1 failed for some reason.
I agree - it makes sense to save for the 58. It's just a powerhouse and, once you figure out the unexplainably bizarre menu options, it's probably the best flash for Pentax out there. And I feel your pain on the 48 failure - I had a 58 explode on me at a wedding. Scared the crap out of me. But Manfrotto fixed it and returned it to me like new in less than two weeks for about $60.