Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Best "Starter" strobe light kit for wedding/receptions ?

I think the topic line pretty much sums it up ha ha. I'm getting into wedding photography, and I'd like to get a 2-3 set strobe light kit. I'm soooo confused on what I need to be looking for. I found a 3 set strobe kit on eBay with 3 soft boxes , 900 w/s total. (Each light is 300 w/s). I'm wanting to set them up around the dance floor, and just use them as a secondary source of light, in addition to the external flash I have mounted on my camera. If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for something easy to learn, easy to set up, and relatively inexpensive. Thank you in advance for the advice.

08-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out Alien Bees. They are a good value and solid performers. Also, look at Cactus v5 triggers. Here are some links:
Paul C. Buff - AlienBees B400
Paul C. Buff - Vagabond Mini Lithium
Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Duo - Gadget Infinity

Don't cheap out too much on weddings; even if you're just starting out, the results you'll get from this setup will help book more weddings. And you have room to grow into all of this gear.
Don't forget the MOST important pieces of gear for wedding photography: backups of EVERYTHING! Spare body, spare flash, spare batteries, spare memory cards. Really - invest in all of that before anything else. And if you can't buy backup, rent it. Borrowlenses.com has a good variety of Pentax gear at reasonable prices.
08-21-2012, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Paul C Buff is good. I have the Einsteins. Possibly more than you want to spend, but one of the better strobes out there, yet at a reasonable price. Beyond that you get into the more "esoteric" stuff. Some of it may indeed have a little nicer quality of light, but most of it is less advanced for more money.

Paul C. Buff - Einstein E640

Note that their inexpensive, integrated Paul C. Buff - CyberSync Transceiver and Paul C. Buff - CyberSync Trigger Transmitter help lower the overall cost and justify the expense of the Einsteins. They also have a 60 day return policy, so you have plenty of time to try them out.

You may want to go bare bulbs or 80+degree reflectors at opposite corners of the dance floor - 2 lights minimum. And a single white beauty dish can be a true staple, good for most any portrait situation. Take some lighting classes if you haven't. You'll find that most experts learned through experimenting, but you can learn from them.

Last edited by DSims; 08-21-2012 at 06:34 PM.
08-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Note that their inexpensive, integrated Paul C. Buff - CyberSync Transceiver and Paul C. Buff - CyberSync Trigger Transmitter help lower the overall cost and justify the expense of the Einsteins. They also have a 60 day return policy, so you have plenty of time to try them out.
The cyber Syncs are nice, but I've been really impressed by the Cactus v5s. They work with my Metz flashes (I use one with a mini softbox as a hair light) and my Alien Bees. For the money (at least for my needs and setup) I've been really happy with them.

08-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the Alien Bees, and I like them a lot. However, I filled a gap in a setup I don't use that often with a 300WS Flashpoint from Adorama. The Alien Bees are much more compact, a great system and the ring attaches in a slicker way, but I am surprised at what you get for very little money with the Flashpoint. For $100, you get a unit with the features and power of an Alien Bee at three times that price--and the Alien Bees are well priced compared to other lines. It has functioned flawlessly in the year I have owned it.
08-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem with monolights is they only work in manual mode. For the studio that's not a problem at all, that's what you want, but at an event where people are moving about it'll be an exposure nightmare. Forget for a moment that folks may knock over your flash stands and destroy your investment, manual mode means monolights don't adjust their power automatically, you have to carefully meter everything. As people move closer to the strobes they'll begin to be over exposed, as they move away they'll be under. Basically you'll have to pick a distance, say 10 feet from your strobe, when someone wanders into that zone, for an instant they'll be properly exposed. Two feet in any direction will begin to cause noticeable exposure problems. You will quickly learn the implications of the inverse square law with studio strobes on a dance floor.

I use both, I have a set of cheapo 400Ws monolights, and three speedlights. The monolights stay in the studio which is where I do most of my shooting, the speedlights are for location shooting, and environmental portraits. I don't really shoot a lot of moving subjects because I like to shoot in manual mode. Now monolights would be fine for posed shots of the bride and groom, but basically you'd have to plan ahead, get there WAY ahead of time, set up quickly, tear down quickly, and have everything premetered. You probably want an assistant for that as well. No, if you have to ask, then speedlights are a better way to go at a wedding. I would recommend a couple Metz 58 AF2s, and probably a good set of radio triggers, though you could probably work optically indoors. A flash meter is also a must for balancing flash and ambient. Try to find a used Sekonic 358.

The best choice I'm afraid would be switching to Nikon and using speedlights with their Creative Lighting System, it's is light years ahead of Pentax's flash system.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 08-21-2012 at 09:07 PM.
08-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Einsteins also have a PocketWizard model made specifically for them - if you had a Canon or Nikon you should be able to get TTL metering using the TTL version of the PocketWizard on the camera.

Unlike most strobes, the settings on the Einsteins can be controlled remotely through the trigger system. It may not be what you need, but it is very helpful in some situations (e.g. when the strobes are mounted somewhere out of reach in a gym).

This is a case where Pentax needs to be pro-active in getting a couple of major manufacturers to produce a TTL triggering system for their cameras.

Last edited by DSims; 08-21-2012 at 09:15 PM.
08-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have the Alien Bees, and I like them a lot. However, I filled a gap in a setup I don't use that often with a 300WS Flashpoint from Adorama. The Alien Bees are much more compact, a great system and the ring attaches in a slicker way, but I am surprised at what you get for very little money with the Flashpoint. For $100, you get a unit with the features and power of an Alien Bee at three times that price--and the Alien Bees are well priced compared to other lines. It has functioned flawlessly in the year I have owned it.
Gene: Can you post a direct link to the Flashpoint head you're talking about? I can't seem to find it on Adorama. And I'm intrigued.
Thanks!
08-22-2012, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Gene: Can you post a direct link to the Flashpoint head you're talking about? I can't seem to find it on Adorama. And I'm intrigued.
Thanks!
This is the one I bought. Flashpoint II FP320M 150 Watt AC/DC Monolight Strobe FP320M I overstated a bit, because I see the comparable Alien Bee is only 2.5x the price with shipping. For that price, why fuss around with a speed light in the studio, even for a small task?
08-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Ari
Veteran Member

Thanks Gene! It looks like a good value. Thinking of getting a second strobe as fill for portraits.
08-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks Gene! It looks like a good value. Thinking of getting a second strobe as fill for portraits.
It works great for that purpose.
08-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have the 3 light flashpoint set (the are branded under another name, but they are the same) and they are great for around the dance floor at weddings. I have alien bees too, but that is for when I am doing studio work. I would be totally freaked if someone knocked over a bee! If one of my cheapies goes over it is not such a big deal.

So the one thing that I do have is the vagabond mini. Alien bees makes it, but the cheap lights will run off it too. So much better than having to tape down cords. I have even had some venues say I couldn't set up a light stand unless I have a battery back. So if you are going to go light over additional flashes, then you will need to think about power.
08-27-2012, 01:37 AM   #13
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
So the one thing that I do have is the vagabond mini. Alien bees makes it, but the cheap lights will run off it too. So much better than having to tape down cords. I have even had some venues say I couldn't set up a light stand unless I have a battery back. So if you are going to go light over additional flashes, then you will need to think about power.
allison - I just bought a vagabond mini and have heard mixed advice on running different branded strobes on it. Have you had any problems with it? I'm thinking of getting a lower power (and cheap) head for fill and run that and my Alien Bees off the vagabond.
08-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

allison - I just bought a vagabond mini and have heard mixed advice on running different branded strobes on it. Have you had any problems with it? I'm thinking of getting a lower power (and cheap) head for fill and run that and my Alien Bees off the vagabond.
I have not had an issue with it at all! I knew when I purchased that it might not work with them, but it Has never been a problem. I have the promaster basic 3 light set. It came with the 160ws lights, stands, two white umbrellas, one silver lined umbrella, and a carrying bag. The lights are small enough to be very portable. They are good for fill. At weddings I use them to do some rim lighting during dances. And you will love that vagabond mini. It is one of the best things I have ever purchased!
08-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I recommend the Paul C. Buff Cyber Commander transmitter and CyberCync Plus receivers to go with any of the PCB strobes. You can pre-program all kinds of lighting set ups and then you can adjust power on the fly from the Cyber Commander in your hotshoe. Forget about having to walk over and reach up on the light stand to adjust the power, just dial in what you want from your camera. The Cyber Commander has a flash meter built into it that works really well too. PCB did awesome with this wireless kit and with the Einstein! Plus, they have the best customer service of any company I've done business with. If you can't tell, I'm a fan. Now, if they would just come out with an extra small strobe like the venerable Sunpak 120J I would be stoked.