Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

RIcoh Bulb flash with Pentax?

An odd question here, but I'll ask anyway.

Basically, I have an old RIcoh flash unit, it looks like this:

(not mine, but looks the same)

I have a few questions:

Questions 1:
Are there different kinds of flashbulbs? (ie different wattage?)
Can I still buy them?
The bulb fitting looks like a normal light globe fitting, can I use a normal light globe? (I'm quite certain the answer is no)

Questions 2:
Will this flash unit work with my *istDS (I'm guessing the answer is a big NO)
Will it work on my ME (I'm guessing maybe?)

Apologies for the probably stupid question, but I currently don't have a flash at all, and have a night photography session on the weekend.
I figured I could make use of this antique.....

If not, I'll just use ambient light and maybe a torch to lightpaint (dodgy I know, but all I've got at the moment)

08-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First I have no idea if that will even work assuming you can get bulbs. I suspect the trigger voltage on modern cameras is too low to make it fire, but I honestly do not know.

But unless you want to do it just to say you did, why would you want to? For the cost of obtaining, possibly unobtainable, flash bulbs you can buy a good Pentax flash unit that will do a much better, and safer job.

I have three AF200T Pentax flashes, I paid a total of $40 for all three and they are in mint condition. I paid $5 for one of them. There are many such on the used market and they will give you much better flash than that antique. Put that in a display case and get a real flash. Just my humble opinion.

*If you do want to try it take a look at this site, they seem to have a lot of information on flash bulbs. Just don't get distracted by the, ahh, props.
08-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ks,
That kind of flash would need an FP socket on the camera and FP (Flat Peak) flash bulbs.
The Pentax MX was set up for X and FP but not the ME. The FP contact closed before the shutter started to move, then the flash bulb ignited and burned during the time it took for the shutter to go over the film plane.

According to the MX book, you might be able to use this flash on ME but shutter speed would have to be 1/15th sec or slower to allow the flash to ignite. ( And ME book does not mention FP use)
If you use it, keep it away from kids.

Why don't you just use your ist ds inbuilt flash?
08-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The main reason I wanted to give it a go was curiousity. Having a play with an older technology.

I might leave it for now. In future I might get a few bulbs and see if it works on the SP1000 just for fun.

Wombat, unfortunately the inbuilt flash on my ist doesn't work.
The camera has had a drop in the past and the flash hasn't worked since then. The repair shop said it had damaged the circuit board or something, and since the camera is getting old, I figured it's better value for me to put some cash aside and replace the body.

08-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
The difference between flash bulbs and electronic flash is timing. When an electronic flash is triggered, maximum light output is achieved for any practical purposes, instantaneously. Most later flash bulbs are a flammable metal wool that is ignited. Relatively speaking, it takes a lot longer to reach maximum light output than an electronic flash. Older cameras actually trigger the flash before the shutter opens. Our current digital cameras have no provision for this earlier flash trigger. With flash bulbs, all your photos will be underexposed.

I'm some sort of shutter delay could be rigged, but it's not worth it for most photographers.