Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #1

Budget Macro Lighting

Hi Guys,

I'm just getting into the Arena of Macro photography and have recently got hold of an SMC Pentax-M 100mm macro lens and some extension tubes. I am enjoying playing around with them so far. I'm looking to do a little photo series on everyday objects close up and wondering what do to about lighting. I want to get a ring flash really but for now I just want something cheap.

I'm thinking about maybe a small light tent off ebay and then use some household lamps to light up the object in question.

What do you think?

Cheers

Alex

08-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are small foldable macro light tents on ebay that come with weird tabletop "tripod" and 2 lamps for cheap. They're not bad for the money. There are several threads here on inexpensive macro flashes $40-75. One thing to be aware of is that many cheap macro flashes aren't actually flashes but are continuious LED lamps.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/196031-led-ring-flash.html
08-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
Well it would all depend on what ones budget might be. And as Docrwm mentioned it would also depend if one would really need and/or want a flash versus something such as continious lighting.

For continious lighting I've stumbled upon something a bit out of the ordinary that works perfectly. Snap-On (which is NOT known for budget conscious people) has a type of angled light - the Snap-On CTFL918. The iterm number, and the F portion of the model number, and even just looking at the item - all show that it is a florescent item -and that perhaps the camera setting might need to be adjusted to compensate. But for some strange reason - all of mt non medium format cameras seem to adjust to it - perfectly - almost as if it were a daylight source.

But that Snap-On product as noted earlier is not inexpensive and also needs their version of a dedicated battery. But I've also had one for many years and it works on both hobby use and also even professionally. With a proper type of clamp one can position it about anywhere.

Also...

Lomography 4-Color Ringflash 405 B&H Photo Video

Even though this is clearly labeled for lomography; I've used this on a variety of cameras and then switched over to B&W with some stunning results.

Dot Line 48 LED Ringlight with AC Adapter DL-RL48 B&H Photo

This one has far above average results for the price - also quite adaptable for most lens'/

It's also unfortunate that the Pentax version typically goes for over 450. But I've seen some out there that go for well over three times that.
08-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A styrofoam plate with a hole cut out for the lens and either the on-camera flash or external flash will work very well.
Some shots taken by a friend using this :
Photos taken by Pentax cameras for tech. discussion - Season IV - Page 31

Here's how it looks like (from the flickr of another very good local macro shooter)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionmystery/1456815382/

08-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Cool thanks well I have another flash on recommendations for a cheap ring flash and someone showed a Vivitar which looked quite good and was actually a flash rather than a continuous light.

Seems like a budget ring flash will in fact be the best option for me.

Cheers
08-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For less than $100 you can get a nice Sunpak ring flash. I got a DX12R for $75 off eBay last year.

You can also make your own "ring" flash by using 2 old manual flashes like the Pentax AF200T (which has several manual power levels), put them on a round bracket that fits around the lens and connect it with off camera flash cables.

Either way you will have a nice portable setup that you can take it everywhere.

If you are working in a studio environment, then get a lighting tent for less than $20 and some halogen work lights or daylight fluorescent lamps.
08-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sunpak DX-12R is difficult to find at reasonable prices. But its brother DX-8R is common.

For a budget ringflash:

Get one of these units.

And this module.

In fact, you can get any Sunpak module among CA-1D, CA-2D, NE-2D, OT-1D, YC-1D, MX-1D and Standard-1D on this page , not necessarily PT-1D or PT-2D for Pentax. The only extra thing that PT-1D or PT-2D does is that when the camera is in Av mode and when the flash is fully charged, it'll set the shutter speed between 1/30 and 1/180 sec depending on the focal length of the lens. With any other module, you just set the camera in X mode or M mode (and set a shutter speed equal to or lower than 1/180sec).

There, a decent ringflash for less than $50.

Read this thread.

Last edited by SOldBear; 08-30-2012 at 01:28 PM.