Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Learning Wireless flash with K5

I have a K5 and a Pentax AF-360fgz flash.
I want to use the 360 hand held, wireless off camera and not have to use the built-in flash........

Can I do that?

09-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sure. take a look at a radio transmitter like cactus v5.
09-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Sure. take a look at a radio transmitter like cactus v5.
Thanks
Is this the set?
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cactus V5 Slave Set [Camera]
09-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It says set

They are transceivers so both units can transmit and receive depending on their setting.

09-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just wanted to point out that you can use optical triggering, while the on-camera flash is set to "control" only. This means the on-camera flash will fire the triggering pulse, but will not illuminate your subject during the shutter release. Go to Custom Menu #21, setting 2.

I recognize that some people prefer the RF triggers as being more reliable under wider conditions. But as far as just trying handheld off-camera flash, you don't have to buy anything. Not sure if you had another reason that you can't use the on-camera flash.
09-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I just wanted to point out that you can use optical triggering, while the on-camera flash is set to "control" only. This means the on-camera flash will fire the triggering pulse, but will not illuminate your subject during the shutter release. Go to Custom Menu #21, setting 2.

I recognize that some people prefer the RF triggers as being more reliable under wider conditions. But as far as just trying handheld off-camera flash, you don't have to buy anything. Not sure if you had another reason that you can't use the on-camera flash.
Thanks Tanzer...............Yes, I was simply trying to avoid the built in flash from illuminating the subject.....this sounds like the simplest way to start using off camera flash. I can get a feel this way and grow from there.
09-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just be aware that the pop-up flash does flash for the control to tell the remote flash to fire.
If set "Flash in Wireless Mode" to Off, the pop-up fires very dimly.
In most cases this is too dim to affect the photo.... "most"...

If you are very close to the subject, the pp-up flash will affect the exposure.
Also, reflective surfaces (windows, mirrors, christmas ornaments) will show the pop-up flash firing.
One more thing... very bright sunlight might overpower the pop-up trigger control if you're not facing the receiver directly.

My opinion is that I would not spend the money or effort on other options at the start unless you feel this is going to be an issue you cannot avoid.

09-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all............I fiddled around last evening and seem to have gotten the settings correct to fire the built in flash in Control mode while also firing the off camera 360............the on camera flash still seems very bright, but I'm planning to mostly use these as fill flash in daylight situations..............

I'll probably have more questions in a few days.............
Dave
09-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Just be aware that the pop-up flash does flash for the control to tell the remote flash to fire.
If set "Flash in Wireless Mode" to Off, the pop-up fires very dimly.
In most cases this is too dim to affect the photo.... "most"...

If you are very close to the subject, the pp-up flash will affect the exposure.
Also, reflective surfaces (windows, mirrors, christmas ornaments) will show the pop-up flash firing.
One more thing... very bright sunlight might overpower the pop-up trigger control if you're not facing the receiver directly.

My opinion is that I would not spend the money or effort on other options at the start unless you feel this is going to be an issue you cannot avoid.
If you are hand holding your flash you probably wont have any issue triggering it with the on board flash. If you put it on a lightstand, etc, then move around, change your distance...the possibility of misfire or no trigger becomes bigger. If you are doing it for fun, no biggy - if you have a subject waiting for you to take a picture, a flash not firing is just annoying. The good thing about these radio triggers is that they work with any brand, so I have it working with my nikon flashes, elinchrom lights, alienbees....
09-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
If you are hand holding your flash you probably wont have any issue triggering it with the on board flash. If you put it on a lightstand, etc, then move around, change your distance...the possibility of misfire or no trigger becomes bigger. If you are doing it for fun, no biggy - if you have a subject waiting for you to take a picture, a flash not firing is just annoying. The good thing about these radio triggers is that they work with any brand, so I have it working with my nikon flashes, elinchrom lights, alienbees....
The research I did yesterday on the Cactus v5 showed that it works for manual flash settings only..............if I decide to try the wireless triggers, wouldn't I be better off getting the triggers that support TTL?

I'm still learning, so still might be asking rookie questions...........
09-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you're handholding the external flash anyway, you could also use a cable. You can get a 10$ coiled cable with full p-ttl functionality on ebay. High speed sync will also work with the cable solution, that might matter to you for outdoor fill flash work.

Regards,
--Anders.
09-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, you will have to set your flashes manually.

The only trigger I am aware of that lets you transmit TTL is this new product :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/195068-...ntax-sony.html

Please read the whole thread to see the pros and cons and unknowns.

Otherwise, a cable solution is probably a better solution for you, if the 360 allows a cable connection? i am not sure.

Your second part of the question, whether you are better off using TTL - This depends. For me, I am better off not using TTL . My TTL is unpredictable, inaccurate and downright frustrating. But your mileage my vary.
09-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes, I saw the Aokatec trigger on amazon............I'll do more reading and tinkering.............the reviews on other triggers talked about how flexible they are, but I am probably years away from needing all that functionality....probably the Cactus v5 would force me to learn the basics better....

Thanks again D4rknezz
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #14

Yes I suggest you start from the basics, triggers and manual mode will definetly at one point give you a light meter in your head and it's the most important thing you need if you want to get into this lighting thing.
I have, beware it gives addiction
09-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

When you start working off flash with multiple flashes you just need to do everything manual.