Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Image CB-21 flash with K-5

Hi there!

I have an old Image CB-21 model flash I bought back in the '80s. I used it on a Nikkormat FT-3 back them. It still seems to be fonctionnal and I was wondering if it was compatible with a K-5. The flash only has 1 pin at the bottom. Was worried it could damage the K-5 due to compatibility issues...

Thanks,
Ben

09-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Inactive Account

The only report I can see on that flash says the trigger voltage is 64 volts, way too high for modern cameras and will likely damage the body. Of course yours might be different, if you have a multimeter handy, check the voltage between the center pin and the ground on the side of the shoe, if it is over 12 volts, do not mount it on your K-5. Some people claim 24 volts is safe, but I like to be cautious, there is no shortage of cheap flashes with 6 volt trigger voltages.

You can use a Wein Safe-Sync to protect your camera, but that flash is not really worth the cost.
09-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Elliott. I really appreciate your help. I'll buy a Pentax flash. No use in taking any chance with that old flash. But I was curious. I've seen some of these flashes on eBay and one owner said it could be used with any hot shoe camera, but I had a doubt.
10-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
I'm thinking of getting the GI Cactus V5 remotes. It seems one transmitter will act as a shield when mounted between the camera's hotshoe mount and a high voltage flash. I wouldn't have to invest in a new flash right away. Exactly what I'm looking for.