Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz Releases 52 AF-1 With Touch Screen

Metz has released an updated flash with a digital touch screen for Pentax and other brands. Looks very interesting. Just might make it a lot easier to program the flash.

Imaging Resource has posted a news release and picture of the new flash unit Metz 52 AF-1 strobe makes flash control a touch more modern - Imaging Resource

09-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Damn, now my 58 AF-2 is obsolete even though it's more powerful. I hate that!!

Hope they don't update my model for awhile until I can afford to upgrade.

Thanks for the info though.
09-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks cheap if you ask me.
09-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote

Hope they don't update my model for awhile until I can afford to upgrade.

Thanks for the info though.
Not obselete man, it's still more powerful. Just because it has touchscreen doesn't mean it's powerful, I prefer buttons over touch screen. Thing is I am not a big fan of the buttoned Metz flashes as it's hard to maneuver around the menu, unlike my Pentax AF 540 FGZ, it's really easy to use.

09-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

vs 50 af-1 change touch screen and the posibiliti to funtion like master in wireless
09-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a metz 50 and Ive recently bought a Nissin , I think its the 866i or summit like that. I much prefer the Nissin which was a fair bit cheaper too. It looks nicer, performs well and more than anything its switches are more positive. It also goes into standby mode which is great just like my speedlights. I prefer functionality to things trying to look flash. No pun intended lol
09-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I have a metz 50 and Ive recently bought a Nissin , I think its the 866i or summit like that. I much prefer the Nissin which was a fair bit cheaper too. It looks nicer, performs well and more than anything its switches are more positive. It also goes into standby mode which is great just like my speedlights. I prefer functionality to things trying to look flash. No pun intended lol
for pentax?? exist??

09-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nacho_tyr Quote
for pentax?? exist??
Well I thought they did lol. Ive just had a bit of a look to see if I can find one for Pentax. Ouch ! I use the Metz on the Pentax and the Nissin on my Nikon. I think Pentax must be an invisable camera company ! I must admit, I feel rather surprised
09-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I saw it at the Metz's stand and... what's the big deal? IMO it brings nothing over the old, 58 AF's interface.
I'm not impressed by the build quality, either - the battery door seems particularly bad (by the way, it also hides the usb port).
09-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I saw it at the Metz's stand and... what's the big deal? IMO it brings nothing over the old, 58 AF's interface.
I'm not impressed by the build quality, either - the battery door seems particularly bad (by the way, it also hides the usb port).
Perhaps this model has been outsourced for manufacture rather than being made in Germany.
09-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It wasn't that bad (compared with the 58 AF-1/2).
09-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Seems like a good move. I have a 58-II and initially the buttons were a mystery. But you get used to them and I don't have any issue with them. The functionality is better than the Pentax 540 so it suits me. Touchscreen may help some users especially those that find small buttons fiddly. I have to say though that the organisation doesn't look to have changed that much, mode, para and option instead of mode, para and select... and it was this organisation that was the mystery in the first place.
10-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Not even close to obsolete. Want the list? Ok, here we go:

• The 58 AF2 is a more powerful light
  • The 58 AF2 has an auto sensor which means
    • It can be used on pre TTL film bodies while retaining auto metering
    • It can be used with pre A series lenses even with a crippled K mount
    • You can switch brands and retain auto metering
    • You can mix it in lighting setups with other brands (e.g. canon and nikon flashes)
    • You don't need a preflash for portraits which can cause people to blink.
  • The 58 AF2 has a secondary reflector
  • I hate touch screens
That being said, it might be a nice compliment to the 58 especially if it costs less, but I just don't like the idea of giving up my auto thyristor. If I'm going to do so it will be for a dirt cheap manual flash with lots of power.