Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think when you have the actual hardware in hand it will be obvious. I spent hours poring over the Adorama and Cowboy Studio sites trying to figure it all out without much success. Like you I figured I just had to jump in and start somewhere. It really was a lot easier once I could pick it up and put it together. One thing I did have trouble with was which way the umbrellas goes through the adapter. It makes a difference and there should be instructions but pay attention to that part.

10-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
It's the one that you linked to in your first post in this thread. This is all a bit confusing and I fear I'll probably have to order a bunch of things and then find out exactly how things go together after that, and make returns if necessary.

EDIT:
Funny how quickly one goes from "considering" to "I just pulled the trigger on a purchase."
- 1 Cowboystudio NPT-04 1 trigger and 2 receivers
- 4 Eneloop AAAs
- 1 Cowboystudio umbrella/flash mount
- 1/4" to 3/8" adapter
- 43 inch black/white umbrella

At least the trigger/receiver and Eneloops are Amazon Prime so they will definitely be here by Thursday at latest
I've been quietly following along here since I am just starting out with off camera flash also. Isn't it great to have all this help instead of trying to figure all this out yourself? I did the same thing in asking here a while back and ended up with almost the same exact list for my first order. A couple items I was lucky enough to find used here in the Marketplace, and ended up with the same mount setup as you to attach directly to a tripod plus I got a nice 10' light stand. I've only tried the setup a couple times to get familiar with it as this will be used a lot more this coming winter to help battle cabin fever.

One minor thing I would like to add - while the trigger setup and shooting manually is the way to go, it does take some trial and error to get the results you want, which in my eyes is great as I love the challenge and learning something. But also remember that your Metz 48 flash is capable of off camera wireless P-TTL also which you may find a use for somewhere somehow. With this setup and the flash you have, you have the best of both worlds for a starter setup. I'm pretty sure I am going to add a second flash - probably the Yongnuo 560 - just to add to the fun.
10-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
One minor thing I would like to add - while the trigger setup and shooting manually is the way to go, it does take some trial and error to get the results you want, which in my eyes is great as I love the challenge and learning something. But also remember that your Metz 48 flash is capable of off camera wireless P-TTL also which you may find a use for somewhere somehow. With this setup and the flash you have, you have the best of both worlds for a starter setup. I'm pretty sure I am going to add a second flash - probably the Yongnuo 560 - just to add to the fun.
Thanks Stan. These days I shoot most with the M 85/2, which is not capable of P-TTL. I have the DA 35/2.4 and the A 50/1.7, which are capable though. I figured that eventually I'll probably add a Yongnuo 560 myself, which is why I got the 2 receiver set...plus it was much cheaper to buy the trigger + 2 receivers than to buy the trigger+receiver and then another receiver later.
10-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #19

I've got the Cowboy Studio stuff and haven't been disappointed for what I do- Also, if you've got an iDevice, check out the Strobox app and it helps to record your lighting Setups, very handy.