Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Selling a Metz 48 to fund 2 YN-560?

These days I shoot mostly with manual lenses, as you can see in my signature. I have also recently acquired radio triggers and other items for off-camera flash. Obviously I've only scratched the surface of strobist lighting but so far I'm really liking the results.

So I was wondering if maybe I should sell my Metz 48 to fund the purchase of 2 Yongnuo 560's? (the mk I versions) I only have one "modern" lens so I'm not sure that I would miss the the P-TTL too much. (Or would I?)

The Metz 48 hasn't seen much switching-of-ownership on the Marketplace recently. If I could get at least $150 for it, then I think I would sell...that much would be enough to fund the purchase of 2 YN's plus a better tripod than I have now. The one I have now is a cheap Quantaray which has a screw missing; that screw is the one that controls how easy it is to flip the camera from landscape orientation to portrait orientation, so basically whatever's attached to the tripod flips and flops as gravity dictates. There have been several cases where the camera or flash flopped over and set my heart thumping because I thought it would fall off.

Metz 48's for Canon have sold on eBay recently for $150+, but I imagine that demand wouldn't be as high for a Pentax version.

For more background information to help you help me decide what to do, my main photography interests are of candid family life. I have also recently received a couple of requests for my services in doing family photo sessions. I live in a 1350 square foot house that is not naturally well lit, I have one 3 year old daughter (my main subject) with a baby boy (undoubtedly will become 2nd main subject) on the way in November. Need any more info?

At the moment I'm thinking that I would be happy with keeping the Metz for now. It has never given me problems, and with the 560s I've heard that there are some quality-control issues. They are fairly cheap so I imagine I would probably get one for Christmas, or I could buy one myself if I stumbled upon a windfall of money somehow.

10-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do it. You don't really need any automation if you're looking to get into strobist stuff which is amazing fun. If I'm not mistaken, the II version of the YNs are around the same price so why not get those? The LCD screen helps a lot.

I actually think you'll be quite impressed with the build quality. The QC I can't comment on since mine have been working fine for a while. But considering the price, I doubt they're too considered with absolute quality at YN headquarters.
10-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Do it. You don't really need any automation if you're looking to get into strobist stuff which is amazing fun. If I'm not mistaken, the II version of the YNs are around the same price so why not get those? The LCD screen helps a lot.

I actually think you'll be quite impressed with the build quality. The QC I can't comment on since mine have been working fine for a while. But considering the price, I doubt they're too considered with absolute quality at YN headquarters.
Thanks Sol Invictus. I appreciate your decisive reply.

I don't believe I stated or implied that build quality was a concern, did I? If so, I didn't mean to. Unless I am getting mixed up and thinking that quality control issues are not a subset of build quality. Whatever the case, my concerns were with the somewhat(?) higher than normal number of reviewers complaining about the YN flash failing within a couple of months.

Perhaps I'm fickle, but given your reply, I'm thinking that since I mostly use the flash in Manual anyways, I probably wouldn't notice a difference if I switched to Yongnuo. Now to get home and calculate approximate shipping and list the Metz...

EDIT: I'm not seeing the YN 560 II for the same price as the YN 560 anywhere. The 460 II is comparable in price to the YN 560 though. But between the 460 II and the 560, I think I'd prefer the 560 for the power. Now between the 560 and 560 II, I don't know. If I buy two 560 II's, then I have no money left for a new tripod, assuming someone will buy the Metz for $150+

Last edited by ChooseAName; 10-05-2012 at 10:19 AM.
10-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Thanks Sol Invictus. I appreciate your decisive reply.

I don't believe I stated or implied that build quality was a concern, did I? If so, I didn't mean to. Unless I am getting mixed up and thinking that quality control issues are not a subset of build quality. Whatever the case, my concerns were with the somewhat(?) higher than normal number of reviewers complaining about the YN flash failing within a couple of months.

Perhaps I'm fickle, but given your reply, I'm thinking that since I mostly use the flash in Manual anyways, I probably wouldn't notice a difference if I switched to Yongnuo. Now to get home and calculate approximate shipping and list the Metz...

EDIT: I'm not seeing the YN 560 II for the same price as the YN 560 anywhere. The 460 II is comparable in price to the YN 560 though. But between the 460 II and the 560, I think I'd prefer the 560 for the power. Now between the 560 and 560 II, I don't know. If I buy two 560 II's, then I have no money left for a new tripod, assuming someone will buy the Metz for $150+
You're right. I just checked on eBay and the YN 560s are going for $55 while the IIs are going for around $70. Other than the LCD screen there is no difference although being able to tell what your power level and range is at a glance is pretty handy for strobist work. Also the first batches of the YN 560s had plastic mounts which broke very easily and where eventually replaced by metal mounts in the subsequent batches. If you order the YN 560, make sure you get a later batch.

I guess what I meant from build is that the outer casing feels solid. It has a good feel in the hand. The battery door for example is much better than any Pentax one, including the AF540. I just don't know about the internal components. For around $50-$70 I doubt they are built to last though.