Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Looks like good product. Only minus is that not work in High Speed sync mode without having extra High speed sync flash connected to camera body...meaning High Speed with this is little difficult.

10-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
why do you want to "not" use the popup flash as a commander ? what is the trouble using it ?
10-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I use AF360 flash with K-5. Wondering how can I trigger the flash remotely without having to pop up the built-in flash. Thanks in advance.
Since no one has asked to this point, why don't you want to use the built-in flash as a trigger? The built-in flash can operate your 360 as a slave (the built-in flash adds its light to the exposure) or in controller-only mode (the built-in flash sends out the pre-flash instructions to your 360, but does not participate in any way with the actual exposure). I frequently use the second method to provide more dramatic lighting.
10-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Lowell do you know if this passes through everything needed by the GPS unit? I was going to suggest that cable but I don't know if it will work for the OP's purpose or not. It would be good to know as I'm sure the OP is not the only person who might run into the same situation.
This setup should work. The built-in flash can still fire. The cable passes all connections from the camera's hotshoe to the accessory, be it a flash or a GPS unit. The accessory doesn't know and doesn't care if there are wires between it and the camera.

10-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by photoephemere Quote
why do you want to "not" use the popup flash as a commander ? what is the trouble using it ?
popup flash can not do High Speed PTTL
10-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 123jippo Quote
popup flash can not do High Speed PTTL
except on the *istD
10-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
This setup should work. The built-in flash can still fire. The cable passes all connections from the camera's hotshoe to the accessory, be it a flash or a GPS unit. The accessory doesn't know and doesn't care if there are wires between it and the camera.
backwards connection, the OP wants the GPS on the camera, and a remote flash on the end of the cable, not a remote GPS on the cable and pop up flash.

10-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the OP wants the GPS on the camera, and a remote flash on the end of the cable, not a remote GPS on the cable and pop up flash.
Not my understanding with this post (mid page 1 of this thread):

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I use O-GPS1 outdoors which is mounted on hot shoe so can't use pop up flash, and I need to trigger the external flash for "fill in" purposes occasionally. Any of these remote triggers be helpful in this case? Thanks.
In the setup in my post above, the O-GPS1 can be attached to the (wired, off-camera) hotshoe, the pop-up flash can still be used. Electronically, the O-GPS1 doesn't know and doesn't care whether it's attached directly to the camera's hotshoe, or there is an extension cable in between.

If the OP wants the GPS on the camera, and a flash at the end of the cable, this is the setup (the adapter on the camera's hotshoe has "Y" connections from the camera to the cable AND to the hotshoe on the adapter):

10-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Not my understanding with this post (mid page 1 of this thread):

In the setup in my post above, the O-GPS1 can be attached to the (wired, off-camera) hotshoe, the pop-up flash can still be used. Electronically, the O-GPS1 doesn't know and doesn't care whether it's attached directly to the camera's hotshoe, or there is an extension cable in between.

If the OP wants the GPS on the camera, and a flash at the end of the cable, this is the setup (the adapter on the camera's hotshoe has "Y" connections from the camera to the cable AND to the hotshoe on the adapter):
you can actually delete the second "shoe adaptor" at least with the AF540FGZ because the cable plugs into the flash directly. Not sure on other flashes whether they have a direct cable plug or not.