Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trigger remote flash without popping up built in flash

I use AF360 flash with K-5. Wondering how can I trigger the flash remotely without having to pop up the built-in flash. Thanks in advance.

10-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Radio triggers?
10-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Radio triggers?
And only in manual. I use Cactus V5s. No complaints.

There is a Chinese manufacturer that supposedly makes triggers for Pentax that will allow access to TTL. The name escapes me right now.
10-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
I use O-GPS1 outdoors which is mounted on hot shoe so can't use pop up flash, and I need to trigger the external flash for "fill in" purposes occasionally. Any of these remote triggers be helpful in this case? Thanks.

10-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I use O-GPS1 outdoors which is mounted on hot shoe so can't use pop up flash, and I need to trigger the external flash for "fill in" purposes occasionally. Any of these remote triggers be helpful in this case? Thanks.
I usually have mine on the hotshoe so I'm not sure. I believe the Cactus ones come with a cable to plug them into the side of the camera in order provide the same functionality. I will check once I get home.
10-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a little old school but you could always just use a cable. K-5 has a PC port to connect flash cable. No idea what connectors the AF360 has but something could be made to work even if just a hot shoe mounted adapter with PC in.

Also you can get a P-ttl cable that would work, though it is expensive. Question would be if it passes through the info the GPS needs, I have no idea if that would work.
10-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
There is a Chinese manufacturer that supposedly makes triggers for Pentax that will allow access to TTL. The name escapes me right now.
Really...newer heard PTTL wireless trigger for pentax...
10-11-2012, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 123jippo Quote
Really...newer heard PTTL wireless trigger for pentax...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/195068-...ntax-sony.html
10-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I believe the Cactus ones come with a cable to plug them into the side of the camera in order provide the same functionality.
This is correct. One can trigger the transceiver with a cable (comes with the transceiver) that is connected to the camera. The only problem is to somehow attach the transceiver to the camera, given that the hot shoe isn't available.

If the V5 relayed all hot shoe contacts, you could have put it on the hot shoe first and then the GPS unit on top of it, but unfortunately, it doesn't.
10-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The only problem is to somehow attach the transceiver to the camera, given that the hot shoe isn't available.
Here you go: PENTAX Hot Shoe Grip reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
10-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I use O-GPS1 outdoors which is mounted on hot shoe so can't use pop up flash, and I need to trigger the external flash for "fill in" purposes occasionally. Any of these remote triggers be helpful in this case?
I don't trust optical slaves outdoors.

But with some of these Pentax cable/adapters, you can use the built-in flash AND connect the O-GPS1 too (do a search for "pentax off camera adapter"):

10-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a little old school but you could always just use a cable. K-5 has a PC port to connect flash cable. No idea what connectors the AF360 has but something could be made to work even if just a hot shoe mounted adapter with PC in.

Also you can get a P-ttl cable that would work, though it is expensive. Question would be if it passes through the info the GPS needs, I have no idea if that would work.
the F 5P extension cord allows for off camera flash and offers a secondary hot shoe on top of the cable head that slides into the shoe. I would imagine this is adequate for the needs, my AF500FTZ came with this standard, but the AF540FGZ does not
10-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the F 5P extension cord allows for off camera flash and offers a secondary hot shoe on top of the cable head that slides into the shoe.
Lowell do you know if this passes through everything needed by the GPS unit? I was going to suggest that cable but I don't know if it will work for the OP's purpose or not. It would be good to know as I'm sure the OP is not the only person who might run into the same situation.
10-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lowell do you know if this passes through everything needed by the GPS unit? I was going to suggest that cable but I don't know if it will work for the OP's purpose or not. It would be good to know as I'm sure the OP is not the only person who might run into the same situation.
short answer, no, but only because I don't have a GPS. If someone offers me a GPS then I can test. Seriously, there should be two PF members close enough together , one with the cable one with a GPS to figure this out but the cable does put all the contacts through to the secondary shoe.

Not sure the cable works with the OP's AF 360FGZ either, it is for the 500 and 540 for sure, but only because I have both flashes and checked the manuals. Maybe someone should ask pentax