Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
A lot of forums have the same question as yours . why does flash with HSS still give blurry wings. The answer is always the same, freeze with flash close in, low power. Dont need fast shutter.
I've browsed the links you provided ... seems OK ... I haven't given it a go yet: K5 at the repair shop - K7 not great for the lighting conditions we have here as of late -
I may try that when the K5 is back.

How "close" is "close", for the flash unit?

BYW, I am not as stubborn as you are !

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 10-22-2012 at 05:53 PM.
10-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
How "close" is "close", for the flash unit?
"Close" is the distance needed to make an 18% gray card to render @ 18% with the flash at it's lowest power setting (i.e. if you photographed just the card you want a spike right in the center of your histogram). In the case of the af540 that should be about 1 meter, maybe a little bit less.
10-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
"Close" is the distance needed to make an 18% gray card to render @ 18% with the flash at it's lowest power setting (i.e. if you photographed just the card you want a spike right in the center of your histogram). In the case of the af540 that should be about 1 meter, maybe a little bit less.
That's good to know.
One metre seems like a reasonable distance: not too close, yet close enough.

Thanks for the info again.

JP
10-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
You don't want to trigger the camera's shutter release and the flash with one remote control. There is a good chance that the flash and the camera will be out of sync.

I'd use a set of remote control on one channel to release the camera's shutter. The camera in turn triggers the remote flash using another set of remote control on a different channel. This will guarantee the camera and the flash to be in sync.
I know I am bringing up an older post, but I wanted to add here that I figured out how to do what I want thanks to SOldBear's suggestion.

Using the Cactus v5 system, I would need four units. Two units set up normally for off camera flash with a trigger on the hotshoe and receiver on the flash. Then I found a cable so the Cactus v5 can be used as a remote:

Cactus V5 Shutter Cable for Canon Pentax Samsung - Gadget Infinity

Now with a second set of triggers set on a different channel, the receiver plugged into the remote port of the K-5, and the transmitter of the second set used as the wireless remote.

I already have the remote cable - now just need to order another pair of triggers and I am good to go!