Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AF540fgz battery compartment cover broken

Hi,

I have a Pentax AF 540 fgz flash (about 2 years old) and the battery compartment no longer closes properly. A tiny piece has broken off the inside of the flimsy plastic cover, with the result that it won't stay properly shut and powered on.

I can still use the flash by tightly holding the battery case shut with one hand, but since I frequently use this flash in wireless mode, this severely cramps my style. As soon as I release the pressure it powers off. The failure of a small $1 plastic component basically renders a $600 flash almost useless. Very poor design Pentax!

Has anyone else had this experience? Is it possible to get that bit of plastic (battery cover) replaced? Or does Pentax seriously expect me to buy another flash? (in which case, my next flash will definitely not be a pentax one!)

10-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a pretty common problem with that flash head. I had the same issue with mine. My solution? Lots of tape.........
10-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Ari. Tape will make it work but also obscure the controls and/or LCD - thus making it really awkward to change settings etc. Good one Pentax...
10-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw this DIY fix a while ago - just found it again.

Maybe not the prettiest fix, but sure looks like it would work. Of course the resale value of the flash will go down a lot, but I guess it would be the same with a broken battery door anyway. If you are planning on keeping and using the flash, this might work or a variation.

AF 360FGZ battery door keeps opening.