Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Elinchrom Flash Triggering system: Review and info

There seems to be VERY limited info about Elinchrom here on Pentaxforums. I think they could be well overlooked and should be considered considering the value for money and build quality. They seem to be perfect for the Pentax buyer who probably came to Pentax for the value for money in the first place!

I own the Dlite 4it kit, and 3 of the universal receivers for use with my AF540FGZ's and have been very very happy.

Disclaimer:
If you like auto modes, go elsewhere for a flash triggering system. I shoot manual with my K5 and strobes 100% of the time. I don't like having the system make decisions for me, because often it does not do what I want it to do. The Elinchrom system is perfect because its not brand specific, therefore making everything manual!

Elinchrom is a Swiss company that builds professional grade lighting products, and for a pretty nice value for the money. The systems are easy to setup, durable, and have quite a few features. Here I will explain on why I decided to go with Elinchrom over the others.

The main thing is the fact that Elinchrom not only have a wireless triggering system that works with all of their studio lights, but they also have universal adapters to use for any other flash system out there. This spawned the thought... how awesome will it be to trigger my Pentax flash system AND my Elinchrom studio lights without worrying about stuff like light sensors/triggers and setting up preflashes and other things, just one wireless remote that does it all.

Since Elinchrom is not brand loyal, it loves all brands (aside from Sony) equally, everything only works in full manual operation. But that's fine because full manual is the only way I like to shoot. I don't have to worry about the camera or the flashguns making stupid decisions. I can control everything and make my photos. It takes less time too, because I don't have to play with exposure compensation when something comes out wrong.

So how does this all work?

First off, I went out and bought the Elinchrom Dlite IT 4 kit. This is a 2 studio strobe 400w lighting kit. It comes with carrying cases, a beauty dish, Manfrotto stands, wireless remote, and 2 softboxes. A very nice kit for $850 on sale (usually around $1000). It was also available locally, which is the only way I like to shop. Support your local businessmen whenever possible.

Secondly, you can get universal triggers that will work with any other flash system be it studio lighting or flashguns.

Third, the quality is fantastic. Not just the materials but the design of the products. They are simple and easy to use, yet offer plenty of features for the price point. I also think they are a good looking piece of kit.

The Universal receiver, is a pro and a con. Most other systems (Cactus, Promaster, Pocketwizard) use a hot shoe receiver. These can be nice because your flash mounts right into them and then onto the stand/bracket and your good to go. Elinchrom elected to go with a small radio pack that hangs off your light stand using a strap. A cable then runs to the flashgun or studio light to control it. Only manual control here, no PTT-L or auto modes, just the way I like it!

The problem with Pentax is that stupid proprietary sync socket. There is no way to use the sync port on the Pentax flashgun with your average remote system, it is really annoying, but can be fixed for around $20 using a Hana hot shoe adapter.

These things are great, they are small and have a small PC sync socket on them. The Elinchrom receiver plugs right in, and triggers the center pin. No problem! Just a problem trying to find the buggers.

With the adapted Pentax flashguns you can now use the Universal receivers and any Elinchrom studio flash unit right off your one transmitter. And if you opt for the RX series strobes and transmitter you can even control the flash and modeling light outputs right from the transmitter without having to go to each individual head! its really is a genius system.

I know use 3 flashguns and 2 studio strobes with this system. I can use my AF540FGZ's out in the field without having to worry about a different system (Pocketwizard or Cactus), and then come back to the studio and continue shooting without having to change any settings.

The system is compact, light weight, and well priced.

PROS
Affordable
Light and compact
great build materials
easy to use
universal
large feature set
works with both studio strobes and flashguns
Everything comes with high quality cases

CONS
Exclusive dealer agreements from region to region
Not compatible with Pentax flashguns without 3rd party adapters
Sync speed from 1/160-1/200 (but Pentax can't go 1/200 anyways!)

Dlite 4 kit: $850
Universal receivers: $90
Hana flash adapters: $20
Eco Transmitter (included in Dlite kit): $99

Not bad for a wireless kit.

10-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you shell out for the Elinchrom SPEED wireless transmitters it is possible you use leaf shutter with synch speeds all the way up to 1600th

I work with Elinchrom flash gear as well, Mostly style RX and BXRi flash heads ( FYI the BXRi Flash heads have wireless receivers built in, the style RX heads you have to buy separate receivers to use them wirelessly) I have also noticed the wireless transmitters have substantial range even outdoors, not as large a range as pocket wizards have but it is certainly enough for on location portraiture.
07-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

I'm wondering if the Using wireless triggers to trigger the shutter on a Pentax K5 and an Elinchrom 600rx will allow you to use a fast shutter speed above 200?
Has anyone tried this ?
Thanks
KERNAL
07-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How fast do they sync in real life for you?
I had a set back when they advertised up to 1/100th sync speed (with electronic shutter)... I could never get reliable sync above 1/125 without getting black bars in the image.

After four+ months of explaining simple math to Elinchrom's arrogant support team, they admitted it really could not do more than about 1/200 even when using electronic shutter, but that 1/160 or even 1/125 might be a more reliable limit.

---------- Post added 07-30-14 at 08:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KERNAL Quote
I'm wondering if the Using wireless triggers to trigger the shutter on a Pentax K5 and an Elinchrom 600rx will allow you to use a fast shutter speed above 200?
Has anyone tried this ?
Thanks
KERNAL
Pentax cripples their DSLRs to disable flash capability above 1/180 shutter speed.
There is no way to take advantage of "hyper-syncing" of the flash that many other brands will allow.
(exception: high speed sync with PTTL aware devices, of course)

07-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
How fast do they sync in real life for you?
I had a set back when they advertised up to 1/100th sync speed (with electronic shutter)... I could never get reliable sync above 1/125 without getting black bars in the image.

After four+ months of explaining simple math to Elinchrom's arrogant support team, they admitted it really could not do more than about 1/200 even when using electronic shutter, but that 1/160 or even 1/125 might be a more reliable limit.

---------- Post added 07-30-14 at 08:47 PM ----------

Pentax cripples their DSLRs to disable flash capability above 1/180 shutter speed.
There is no way to take advantage of "hyper-syncing" of the flash that many other brands will allow.
(exception: high speed sync with PTTL aware devices, of course)
Thanks Amoringello. I have the K5, Elinchrom 600RX and Cactus V5's. I shoot roller derby. Some of my fellow shooters shoot Canon and Nikon. I guess I'm stuck with the 180 sync speed. I just purchased the Elinchrom 600RX and before my next event I wanted to know how to get the most out of the flash.

I typically shoot with 540 and 360 wirelessly.
08-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for the report, very interesting. I wish the images were bigger so that I could see more details without getting very close to the screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Hana flash adapters: $20
I think "Hana" should probably be "Hama".

Would it not be possible to use a cable that connects to the trigger and has a PC connector at the other end?
The Cactus V5 came with such cables supplied.

The Elinchrome gear is high-quality stuff, but seems a bit pricey to me. If it is within range price-wise, one cannot go wrong with it, but if every penny counts then there are more affordable solutions, albeit perhaps not with the same excellent reliability and support network.

Regarding the firing of flashes, I'd say it would make sense to pay a bit more than $20 for an adapter and get a V6 receiver. One can then remote control the power of the flashes (your AF-540 FGZs are supported). Everything is still manual, just as you like it, but much more convenient, in particular if you use the flashes in modifiers or not so easy to reach places outdoors.

How easy is it to temporarily switch strobes/flashes on/off with the Elinchrome transmitter? It does not seem to have a lot of direct controls. The group buttons on the Cactus V6 make that very easy and adjusting levels (individually or globally) is a breeze as well.

Sadly, the V6 won't be able to control the power of the Elinchrome strobes. They could only fire them (more economically done with V5 as receivers) and power control would have to be done with the original transmitter off-camera. The Radiopopper triggers can remote control power levels of both (selected) flashes and (Paul C. Buff) strobes. Godox have a unified system too, but currently their transmitters suck in terms of usability.

QuoteOriginally posted by KERNAL Quote
I guess I'm stuck with the 180 sync speed.
The only solution is to use an HSS-capable flash on-camera and use its pre-flash (or main flash if you don't get too fast with the shutter speed) to optically trigger other manual flashes or a nearby radio trigger that can then fire off-camera manual flashes. This enables remote-HSS (only works with some flashes) or HyperSync (only works at 1/1 power and will give you a gradient). Let me know if you want me to expand on this.

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
That's unfortunate. The V6 have no trouble supporting 1/180s.

With studio strobes, however, you rarely need to go to the max. sync-speed as you can control ambient light indoors. A cap on the max. usable sync speed would be more of a problem outdoors.

Last edited by Class A; 08-01-2014 at 12:14 AM.
08-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The only solution is to use an HSS-capable flash on-camera and use its pre-flash (or main flash if you don't get too fast with the shutter speed) to optically trigger other manual flashes or a nearby radio trigger that can then fire off-camera manual flashes. This enables remote-HSS (only works with some flashes) or HyperSync (only works at 1/1 power and will give you a gradient). Let me know if you want me to expand on this.

Please can you elaborate this for me... this is very interesting as I am looking for solutions of my project and not really familiar with flash techniques. Thank you

09-04-2015, 01:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have recently bought elichrome quasar ranger system. And I really like it. this triggering thing sound good too. just to let you know, I also bought EL-skyport USB II to company my elichrome, and use my laptop as commander to that. It is quite cool. and seems to work straight out of box. also you can set delay for high speed sync...