Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What to buy? Doubts about Pentax, metz and others

Hi!!
I would buy a flash unit, but I really don't know whato to buy.
I've red about the cheap Youngnuo and about the Pentax, but I have some doubts about its use.

I'm searching a flash that I could use both on camera and off camera.

I was worried about buying a Youngnuo because many users said that it brought problems to the camera body (maybe for the difference in voltage, I really don't know). Is it really true or I can use it on camera?
So I was looking for the af360fgz and I found it right for me but quite expensive. Do you know an equivalent one by Metz or other brand?

And most important, what do you suggest? Have you any experience with these flashes?

Thank you very much!!

10-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have owned just about every flash made for Pentax (Pentax, Metz, Sigma) and have been very happy with Metz. Powerful, flexible, ready to go off camera when you're ready and better built than Pentax heads. If you can afford it, think about the Metz 58AF2. They also perform well as optical slaves.
10-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had the Metz 48 for a while, but that's been discontinued. The Metz 50 is the new Metz 48 and I think is sort of Metz's competitor to the Pentax AF360. Amazon has the Metz 50 for about $220 USD I think. If you want a tilt/swivel (i.e. up/down and side-to-side), do not get the Pentax AF360, as it only goes up and down. That was a crucial capability for me and is a big factor in why I went with the Metz 48.

I sold the Metz 48 because I mostly use manual lenses and didn't need a lot of the features.
10-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Actually IMO the competition to Pentax's AF360 is the Metz... 36!
Both these flash can tilt but not swivel and both have GN36. But the Metz is far cheaper. I have no experience with either because I chose to get one that could swivel, the Metz 44 (still cheaper than Pentax AF360). And then there are the higher-grade offering from Metz, the 50 (probably not much more expensive than the Pentax AF360 and with much more functionalities and power) and the 58 (maybe the absolute best flash available for Pentax, from people's opinion, I haven't been able to try it yet).
My advice would be to either do what I did (I have no regret about the 44) or go for a higher model if you can afford it. IMO for on-camera use, tilt and swivel is a definite must-have to be able to bounce the light as you please.

10-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your answers. Globally, the hints you give me are the ones I was searching. The 58 is too much for the use I would do (my first choice was the youngnuo 460II, so you can understand that I'm just at the beginning.
The 48 and the 50 would be great, but I've found it for 140-160$ used. Do you think is a good price?
Thank you again!
10-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

I haven't read/seen anything about the yongnuo's screwing up bodies. I have one, and haven't had this happen yet, but now i'm wondering if I should be cautious? I've only ever seen recommendations TO use it as a great cheap speedlight.
10-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have not yet tried my Yongnuo on my K-30 but used it a lot on my K-r with no ill effects. This is the first I've heard about it being problematic. It seems to be a very highly regarded and inexpensive manual flash.

If I had to have PTTL, I'd probably go with the Metz. I like cheaper!

10-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
KGH

I have the Metz 50 and it does almost everything the Pentax flashes do. The 50 cannot be a master in a two flash slave setup, but the 58 can be. But if your model Pentax uses the popup as a controller like mine does, the 50 works very well as a slave. i have the 50 for Pentax and Canon, but the thing I don't like about the Pentax version is this: When you turn the flash on, you have to mount it on the hotshoe to change the mode from ttl to p-ttl, it won't change while off camera. The Canon version doesn't have any ttl but e-ttl, so it goes to that by default. This is a quirk that is annoying if you do a lot of off camera flash, but not too awful.
10-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've bought a pair of used AF360FGZ for ~$150 each, in great shape, no problems. I use these mostly for off-camera use as I also have a 540FGZ which swivels, which I find useful for on-camera use. At $150 I feel I get good performance, compatibility, and full feature set (HSS, P-TTL Master) vs. some of the less expensive alternatives. Even without a swivel you still have the option of using a TTL sync cable.

I see you're in Milan -- In the US, Metz flashes are pretty pricey, sometimes even more than the OEM flashes. I suspect this may not be true in the EEC.
10-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll offer two pieces of advice 1) If you're going to buy a flash for on-camera use, make sure it tilts AND swivels. This disqualifies the AF360. 2) If you plan on using older manual lenses, get a flash with an auto thyristor AND/OR get a light meter that records flash.

Ironically, the more experienced you are with using flash, the fewer features you need. Most pros use manual flash exclusively. But if you are just starting out, I would recommend a full featured flash like the Pentax 540, the Metz 58, or the Sigma 610 Super. You don't have to buy them new, look around for a used flash, just make sure it's in good working order.
10-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pezmaker and loco: I've spoken about the youngnuo because I've red this thing on some posts, so I would like to ask. At first, I was sure to buy a Yongnuo as you do! Now I just want to ask for infos, also on other brands.

I'm inclined to buy the 44 if I found one cheap, also because, as said by AndrewG, here in Italy (and I think in the whole EU), prices are very high.
But i'm figuring out to buy the YN, putting aside my fear (there is like like 100$ difference between YN and Metz)
10-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you maxfield_photo! Yes, I have the same opinion, but what stopped me to buy a fully manual flash instead the Metz or Pentax is not the functions but just the problem of the difference in voltage that can goes haywire my camera. Obviously if it swivels would be nice, but for now I just want to learn to use (many words just to say that I need a simply flash that I can use both on and off camera )
10-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I use Nikon SB-25s for both on and off camera use. For off camera use, the SB-25 has six power levels (1/1 to 1/64). On camera it works great in both manual and auto mode.

Low trigger voltage, and I've been told the secondary pins don't line up on a Pentax hot shoe, but just in case I use an adapter for on camera use.

SB-25s are readily available used in the US for under $90 US but I don't know their availability/pricing in your neck of the woods.
10-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you want cheap, and auto mode, get a used auto thyristor flash from the old days or one of the new ones (vivitar still makes them). Metz 58 is the thing to get if you have the money. I had the Metz 50 and had to update to the 58. I also have the Pentax 540 and believe that Pentax flashes are inferior to Metz.
10-25-2012, 01:04 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Forum Member

Hello Gabro

If you don't mind me asking what do you want to use the flashes for?

I have both the Metz 58 AF2 and the youngnuo. I agree with maxfield for on camera use you need the flash to have tilt and swivel, its very annoying carrying a camera and a flash attached to a cord. Another thing is I would advise on getting the most powerful flash you can afford, you can always decrease the output power.

However I mainly use them off camera and find the results more pleasing. But I have time to compose, etc so if you were looking at doing event style photography I would recommend the Metz just because it is P-TTL. It also has functions like rear curtain sync which you can't do with the youngnuo. Also if you wanted to use the metz in manual mode you also can.

For everything apart from event photography I would highly recommend the youngnuo, for their price point and as a starting flash, though it can be a steep learning curve, it is a valuable investment.

With the youngnuo. They work fine with no problems on camera. They are slower to use because they are fully manual but you get consistent results because you are changing the settings if you use the camera on manual mode. I have had a small issue with one of my units not being able to control the flash zoom with one of the buttons but if i cycle through the zoom range with the other, it still works.

With Metz its a very well built flash and the difference in build is obvious. It has a lot more functions however most I do not use. Most times I wish I knew about the youngnuos before buying the metz as it would have saved me lots of dollars but in saying that it is nice to have a fully capable flash with all the bells and whistles.