Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #1

Holgon 280 SC

I've just been given an old Holgon 280 SC flash, that Dad used to use with his old Spotmatic. I feel like I've failed an IQ test, but I actually can't work out how to open it to change the batteries From my research, it is supposed to take 4 AAs... Any tips please? Does anyone remember this flash?

10-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I don't know this specific flash. But as you will find in countless threads, the trigger voltage on many old flashes is too high to use safely on current camera bodies. Check it before you mount it on your camera.
10-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I don't know this specific flash. But as you will find in countless threads, the trigger voltage on many old flashes is too high to use safely on current camera bodies. Check it before you mount it on your camera.
Thanks Jim, yes I've started coming across that too during the search for info. I haven't been able to find info on its trigger voltage so far either, so if someone knows that too, that would be useful info. I'm kind of hoping to get it open so that I can check whether maybe the batteries were left in and it's all corroded and unusable anyway. If I can't use it on my K-x I could still potentially use it on the Spotmatic.
10-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hchan Quote
I haven't been able to find info on its trigger voltage so far either, so if someone knows that too, that would be useful info.
Why don't you measure the trigger voltage of the flash yourself? Borrow, buy, or steal a digital multimeter. A useable multimeter costs only a few $, and it's very useful around the house.

As how to measure trigger voltage, read this.

10-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Why don't you measure the trigger voltage of the flash yourself? Borrow, buy, or steal a digital multimeter. A useable multimeter costs only a few $, and it's very useful around the house.

As how to measure trigger voltage, read this.
Cool thanks, that's a good tip. Now I just need to figure out how to pop it open to insert batteries Hopefully someone knows, or else I have a sudden brainwave and work it out myself... Maybe it really is all corroded and stuck inside, which is why I can't seem to open it
10-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hchan Quote
Now I just need to figure out how to pop it open to insert batteries...
What happens when you try this? ("slide back" means "slide the lid toward the back of the flash, away from the flash tube").

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-27-2012 at 05:20 PM.
10-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
Whoa you're good! I tried and couldn't find anything like that. Yes that was one of the first things I attempted and it's not budging at all in that direction... OK I think it really is stuck, probably batteries left in there for too long Thanks so much for finding that, much appreciated
08-01-2020, 07:05 AM   #8

I have this kind of flash , I used in my Sony A350 using a mount adaptor, performs well in manual mode.