Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the help guys - I learned a lot today And - you guys saved me some money from having to buy yet another speedlight. I have to try this out . Finally - I also understand speedlights a little better.

Cheers

11-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
"The innovative secondary reflector provides perfect image illumination for portraits."
That's a pretty cool idea, and a very nice flash. $400 for a flash unit makes me cringe, though. I didn't spend that much on any of my camera bodies. ;-)
11-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
That's a pretty cool idea, and a very nice flash. $400 for a flash unit makes me cringe, though. I didn't spend that much on any of my camera bodies. ;-)
It's funny, many folks wouldn't bat an eye at spending $400 on a lens or a camera body, but there are very few things that will improve the quality of your photos more than a good flash. Our business is capturing light. Doesn't it make sense to invest in a quality tool to shape it?
11-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
It's funny, many folks wouldn't bat an eye at spending $400 on a lens or a camera body, but there are very few things that will improve the quality of your photos more than a good flash. Our business is capturing light.
True. But if you use manual flash through flash modifiers like I do, as long as the power is equal, a blink of light is a blink of light.

11-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do prefer to shoot everything in manual - manual flash, manual exposure, manual focus, manual white balance, and ISO locked at it's lowest setting, heck even some of my lenses have manual apertures. But there are times when I need more flexibility than manual flash will allow, and that's when I'm glad I have my Metz 58.

I've found pTTL to be reasonably consistent on my K20D, but perhaps it's because flash power is the only variable I allow the camera to adjust. It's like the equation 2+x=5, it's very easy for the camera to solve. On my manual lenses however, pTTL isn't an option, but again the Metz 58 has me covered with A mode. That's what makes this tool so fantastic is the flexibility that it provides.

Now should every flash in your bag be a Metz 58? I don't think so. If I'm lighting a background, I want those lights to be the same in every single shot, so an inexpensive manual flash is all that's required. Now my inexpensive manual flashes happen to be Metz 45 CL4s, but I guess I have a thing for German electronics. For folks looking to do multi light setups, I recommend one really great flash, maybe two, you'll know what you need when you get to that level. But as for the rest? Cheap is good.
11-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I use three Sunpak Auto 422Ds with radio triggers. They're cheap (most I paid for one was $30.) they have enough light output, variable power, (which has become a must-have feature for me) and they bounce & swivel. Works for me. :-)
11-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I use three Sunpak Auto 422Ds....
IMHO, Sunpak 422D (or 30DX) and 444D (or 36DX) are the best values for the buck. They have good power (GN 100 or 120), solid build, bounce & swivel head, auto mode (3 settings) and variable power ratio (5 settings).

Great choice.

If you need the power and don't mind the size of the hammer head, Metz 45CT and 45CL series are great, especially if you can find a Mecamat to go with it:

Talking about power, here's the mother of portable (well, kind of, more like "luggable") flashes: