Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #1

flash techniques anyone?

Hi,

I started using my new af-360 last night. I was very satisfied with the results, especially when bouncing.

I would like to know if any of you have techniques, besides bouncing, that makes one believe a flash wasn't used at all...while connected to the camera...(accessories yet to be aquired)

Thahnks for the responses.

02-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Use gels to match the ambient color lighting. Use more than one flash, shooting at different power levels. Have these lights off camera.
02-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

slow your shutter speed to raise the exposure on the background. the distance your flash is from the subject makes a pretty hefty difference.

here's a good place to start. Learn to Light. Strobist 101
02-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
here's a good place to start. Learn to Light. Strobist 101[/QUOTE]

Very good advice indeed!

CN

02-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
get the flash off camera.. whole new world..
02-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
wireless fun;(

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
get the flash off camera.. whole new world..

I got it off the camera last night. However, I noticed wireless is not an option in green mode...which of course makes it easier as I learn.

When most photographers shoot in manual while using the flash, is it a general rule that they will have to constantly play around until everything works out. Shooting manual with the camera alone is a breeze for me, but now with the flash, it is a whole new ballgame.

Why is my metering within my camera while manual telling me I am under exposed and yet it insists I stay well under exposed while using the flash. If I try to set my levels as if there was no flash being used at all, then fire the flash, everything is blown out.
02-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

what sucks about off camera flash, is that you cant manual focus

and we all know how good pentax's autofocus systems are

02-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jay legere Quote
I got it off the camera last night. However, I noticed wireless is not an option in green mode...which of course makes it easier as I learn.

When most photographers shoot in manual while using the flash, is it a general rule that they will have to constantly play around until everything works out. Shooting manual with the camera alone is a breeze for me, but now with the flash, it is a whole new ballgame.

Why is my metering within my camera while manual telling me I am under exposed and yet it insists I stay well under exposed while using the flash. If I try to set my levels as if there was no flash being used at all, then fire the flash, everything is blown out.

Learn in manual mode. I couldn't imagine any other way. Setting your exposure with a flash is an entirely different game. To expose the subject (what's being lit by the flash), its a matter of flash power and aperture. To bring your ambient light and background into balance with the subject its a matter of shutter speed. This shouldn't make a difference if its on or off camera. I really can't stress reading the lighting 101 enough. Read it....then read it again.....then read the on assignments and lighting 102. You should have all the answers you'll ever need.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
what sucks about off camera flash, is that you cant manual focus

and we all know how good pentax's autofocus systems are
I'm not sure what you mean Gooshin. I don't see why you couldn't manually focus....do you mean zooming with the flash? (different terms same meaning?)

Last edited by jshurak; 02-13-2008 at 11:33 AM.
02-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

if you have the camera in one hand, and the flash in the other, how you gonna focus?
02-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
if you have the camera in one hand, and the flash in the other, how you gonna focus?
fair enough! I suppose you'd need a bracket!

Jay - also, When I shoot with a flash, i don't use the light meter whatsoever. Film is not an issue anymore, so I set my flash power and aperture, shoot and check. You can usually get a good exposure with 1 or 2 test shots.