Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Second flash.... Where to go from here?

I presently have a Metz 50 AF1 which I use with my K5.

I'm starting to get into a little portrait work and I'd like to pick up a second flash. Now I'm disappointed at not being able to utilize HSS off camera and one solution would be to buy the Pentax 360 or 540 to act as the master on camera. But it seems like total waste to have to leave that flash on camera to trigger a second just for HSS.

I'm relatively new to lighting, but it seems like you generally rarely use a hotshoe flash on camera.

So in the end, to have full functionality, are you stuck with spending several hundred bucks on an extra hotshoe flash to act as the master, but wasted on camera??

What's the best solution here?

Thanks,

Javaslinger

11-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Just curious: why do you need/want HSS for portrait?

I happen to think HSS is wwaayyyyy over-rated.

I just got myself a Sunpak 120J and I love that flash. This paired with a Lumedyne Tinycycler or with a Pentax TR-2 makes a great system. I also have a Qflash T2 but many times it's too heavy to lug around.
11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Just curious: why do you need/want HSS for portrait?

I happen to think HSS is wwaayyyyy over-rated.

I just got myself a Sunpak 120J and I love that flash. This paired with a Lumedyne Tinycycler or with a Pentax TR-2 makes a great system. I also have a Qflash T2 but many times it's too heavy to lug around.
Well, I'm undoubtedly revealing my newbie status here, but to shoot portrait outdoors in daylight.. If I want to darken the ambient light my understanding is you use increased shutter speed.. so in daylight I need more than the flash sync speed to get anything close to darkness...

I have also heard that using HSS to control ambient light is totally incorrect... so what do I know...
11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
I have also heard that using HSS to control ambient light is totally incorrect...
If so, HSS is totally incorrect; controlling ambient is exactly why to use it. But another option that might be simpler and cheaper is a neutral density filter to get you back to normal sync speed.

11-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can get PTTL off camera cables. You'd be limited by the cable length for the 'Master' that's still connected to the camera.

I don't have any fancy PTTL flashes. The reason- for the price of a pentax one you can get a few older manual only flashes + cheap manual only radio triggers and gang them up to increase your power relative to the sun. Apply ND filters if required to stay inside normal sync speed as mentioned.

There are other things you can do to darken the ambient relative to your lights. Move your flash closer to your subject, shoot at dusk/dawn, shoot in the shade, etc.
11-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #6

This site will help you a lot with lighting question and answers.
Neil vN – tangents
Mike