Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Spend your money once. Buy Paul Buff Cybersync triggers. Rock solid performance at a far more reasonable price than Pocketwizards and backed by legendary service.

The Cybersyncs will sync at 1/180 no problem. I've had Cybersyncs for two or three years now. I've replaced the transmitter battery once. Haven't replaced the receiver batteries yet.

They just work.

12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just ordered the Cactus V5's. Now I wait for them to arrive from Hong Kong. Hopefully they get here before Christmas. I'll update once they arrive. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
12-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI

A heads up for others: I have had the PT 04's for about a year and one receiver has started playing up (battery light flash is weak & have swapped batteries etc). Have ordered another set of 3 receivers & transmitter which is a price driven decision.
I do not claim to be a proficient user of these things at all, but my obversations are that they work "OK", I do get some mis fires or no fires, which I put down to insufficient hot shoe contact (clean it) or batteries in receivers fading....and they do chew batteries so keep a stock handy.

In this case I find I have less trouble with things like Durocell alkalines than re-chargeables, which for some reason seem to die very quickly (& yes that includes the mighty Eneloop).

Thought about the Cactus & Paul Buff, but will give these (PT04) one more round before changeing.
12-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
+1 to Cactus V5 =D

02-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I looked up the listing for the V5s and from what I can tell there is only 2 receivers in the box and not a transmitter, is this true or did they just not list it on the page that it is for sale on?? If so what transmitter do you have?
02-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I looked up the listing for the V5s and from what I can tell there is only 2 receivers in the box and not a transmitter, is this true or did they just not list it on the page that it is for sale on?? If so what transmitter do you have?
The V5s are transceivers, so they can be either a transmitter or a receiver with just the flip of a switch. I have four of them and they are great. The batteries did go fast until I switched to lithliums and they have been great ever since.
02-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Another option for triggers - shameless plug - yes these are mine:

Flashwaves Digital Radio Flash Trigger Set | eBay

02-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Another option for triggers - shameless plug - yes these are mine:
Why are you moving them out??
02-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Why are you moving them out??
I had a project in mind that would use 2-3 off camera flashes for which I changed my mind on how to accomplish it.
02-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Just received the Yongnuo's. Working well at 1/160, not sure I need faster for the moment. And for the price it's difficult to be unhappy with them
02-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Just received the Yongnuo's. Working well at 1/160, not sure I need faster for the moment. And for the price it's difficult to be unhappy with them
I regularly (read every day) sync with them at 1/160 without an issue and since we have and I own yn560III with built in receivers I'll only change them with the recently announced Meyin rf604's If they actually work as claimed since they are backwards compatible with rf 602's

03-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did a ebay search and the Wansen PT-04 flash triggers and the flashes listed all just say for Canon or Nikon. Will these work on Pentax hotshoe? I guess it depends if the pins are the same.
Also, for my K-5 I have Metz flash, but I still have a Sigma flash that I use to use on my Canon body. I am hoping I can fire the Sigma flash with the same triggers used on the Metz flash. I don't use a flash often, but when I do it would be nice to have some options.
03-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I ordered the Apurture brand with the package with one receiver and one trigger from Amazon and the receiver/trigger had labels marked "for Canon" the label on the outside of the package put on after the fact said Pentax compatible. Its pretty frustrating that they got this wrong, I wanted to take them out of the package and test to see if they worked with my cameras but instead what I wanted more was what I actually ordered so I called them to have them send me the right one and I'll send this one back. I didn't look at the pins to see if they were the same.
03-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
I ordered the Apurture brand with the package with one receiver and one trigger from Amazon and the receiver/trigger had labels marked "for Canon" the label on the outside of the package put on after the fact said Pentax compatible. Its pretty frustrating that they got this wrong, I wanted to take them out of the package and test to see if they worked with my cameras but instead what I wanted more was what I actually ordered so I called them to have them send me the right one and I'll send this one back. I didn't look at the pins to see if they were the same.
ATTENTION:

What happened to littledrawe happened to me, but I will explain some good detail here:

Camera Gear used: 2 each Pentax K5 cameras, one Metz 58 AF2, one Yongnuo AF 560 ii

I ordered a set of Aputure Trigmaster 2.4Ghz for Pentax (listed as for Pentax on Amazon.com). I received a package that said "for Canon" also. I called Fotodiox support and they said the trigs are for Pentax also, though labeled for Canon. SO, I continued to test them out, but they did not work!!!

First issue: they will NOT sync faster than 1/100. Try to shoot 1/125 and there will be a dark fade on part of the image, 1/160 is a black out, but these advertise 1/250: NOT SO!!!

Second issue: Initially they work right after turning them on (at 1/100), but then they go to sleep after about 2 minutes. Press the test button on transmitter, first flash fires, second flash fails, press a second time, they both work. THEN you can take a picture. Pain in the Friggin' Butt!!!!!!!!!! If you try to just hit the shutter, nothing wakes. You will get black images if you shoot since the flash will not fire. ( AND YES, I TURNED OFF SLEEP MODES ON BOTH FLASHES!) I also tested these without being mounted to the flash and cameras. There are confirmation lights on the transmitter and receivers themselves so you know if they communicate. These things do not even communicate with each other: the issue is the same with or without gear attached.

SO, I called and emailed a tech support rep at Fotodiox. He shipped me a second set of Aputure Trigmaster 2.4Ghz transmitter+2 recevier combo package. He said he would test them first. NOT SO. I received the package 2 days late and obviously untested for the batteries that came with the package were dead and the package was unopened. FORTUNATELY, I had a spare A23 battery.

Well, I tested the second set. SAME PROBLEMS. I have the package sitting at my feet to return with a prepaid label going back to Amazon. The other set was returned directly to the manufacturer.

BOTTOM LINE: APUTURE TRIGMASTER 2.4Ghz do NOT work with Pentax Cameras!!!
03-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JF Jayhawk Quote
I ordered a set of Aputure Trigmaster 2.4Ghz for Pentax (listed as for Pentax on Amazon.com). I received a package that said "for Canon" also. I called Fotodiox support and they said the trigs are for Pentax also, though labeled for Canon. SO, I continued to test them out, but they did not work!!!
Good to know. I guess I'll have to start working on a different product for triggering my flashes.